Venkat Panchapakesan Memorial Scholarships India. Welcome to the Venkat Scholarship program for India.
Please review the scholarship eligibility requirements, complete the required sections, and submit before the deadline. All applications are due by Sunday 9pm IST, 14th August 2022.
October 15th, 2022
GOC Round: August 27th, 2022 | Meet and Greets with finalists: September 26th-30th, 2022
Venkat was a much loved and highly respected engineer whose career took him to YouTube, Google, and Yahoo, among other notable companies. He tragically passed away too young, after a battle with cancer. During his short time he deeply touched the hearts and minds of his friends, family and colleagues. He taught us to be selfless, humble, ever-optimistic and to always find the best in people.
Are you an ever-optimistic person who believes we can make the world a more sustainable place? Are you passionate about the field of computer science and engineering? Are you already using computer science to develop solutions for some challenges, or opportunities, that you see around you?
If yes, we invite you to apply for the Venkat Panchapakesan Memorial Scholarship. Applications will open on July 25th, 2022, please keep an eye out for the ‘apply now’ button to appear. Selected students will receive a financial award of $2,500 USD towards tuition and education related expenses, and will be invited to a virtual retreat in October 2022.
We are specifically looking for university students who:
- Aspire to be computer scientists and technology leaders
- Exemplify leadership skills and a demonstrated passion for computer science and technology
- Communicates their responses and message with thought and clarity
- Have a great financial need
Please note that if your application passes the eligibility requirements, you will be invited to participate in Google’s Online Challenge (GOC) scheduled on Saturday 27th August 2022 (9am IST – 9pm IST).
GOC is a mandatory step to be considered for the next round. Please schedule this date as a placeholder in your calendar.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s degree for the 2022-2023 academic year
- At the time of your application, be in your 2nd OR 3rd year of study at an accredited university in India when completing the scholarship program
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Participate in Google’s Online Challenge that will assess you for your coding skills
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for improving representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology
- Provide a written recommendation from a University Professor prior to retreat on 15th October 2022.
- Agree that their essay responses be verified for authenticity
Your application information can be deleted upon written request to the email listed below, in which case your application will be removed from internal databases and you will no longer be considered for the scholarship. If you have any further questions please contact [email protected]
Terms & Conditions
- Scholarship recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their application materials compared to the entire applicant pool.
- The selection will be full and final, and the applicants will confirm they will not dispute the same at any point of time.
- The Venkat Panchapakesan Memorial Scholarship award of $2,500 USD must be spent on tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the students’ classes at their primary university.
- Tax liability, if any, in relation to this scholarship award will have to be borne by the scholarship recipient.
- Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as full-time students for the academic years 2022-2023. Enrollment will be verified after the winners are selected, and all scholarship payments will be made directly to the student to be used towards tuition and education related expenses.
- We will withhold the award for any scholar who no longer meets the eligibility requirements and revoke the award for any scholar who does not maintain the eligibility requirements.
- Any employee of Google Inc. including its affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible to apply for Google scholarships.
- Persons who are (1) residents of embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily resident in embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not apply for this scholarship.
Ans. This is a scholarship that will support university students in making the world a more sustainable place using technology and who are passionate about the field of computer science and engineering. Students who are already using computer science to develop solutions for some of the challenges, or opportunities, that they see around them are invited to apply for the Venkat Panchapakesan Memorial Scholarship.
Ans. This scholarship is exclusively for Computer Science students who are enrolled as an undergraduate student in a college/university in India, for the current academic year.
Ans. Previous applicants can re-apply. Previous recipients of any Google scholarships are not eligible to reapply, including the Venkat Panchapakesan Memorial Scholarship, are not eligible to apply.
Ans. You will need to fill out the application form once it is live on the website.
Ans. You will need to upload a google doc or .doc format of your resume to Google drive. Be sure to include your experience in the area of computer science, and your leadership experiences and the impact you have created. Please ensure that you name the file with the naming convention and make sure you share it with “anyone with the link”. For details on how to upload and share your files to “anyone with the link” look at the links below:
Ans. All applications should be submitted in Google Docs, or .doc format. We are unable to accept applications that are not submitted in these formats.
Ans. No, there will be no extensions on the application deadline. Please refer to the site for details on the last date of submission.
Ans. All Google Scholarship review processes are administered in English. Please submit all application documents in English — we will not be able to consider applications in other languages.
Ans. Please list any examples of leadership within your wider technology community. This might include teaching, tutoring, lecturing, mentoring, organizing summits, conferences or workshops, hackathons, or contributing to open source projects. Tell us about the impact you’ve made.
Ans. Whilst 400 is a guideline, we recommend you stick as closely to the word limit as possible.
Ans. Only selected scholars will need to submit a recommendation letter. This will be required before the retreat in October 2022. The Venkat Scholarship Team will provide more guidance to selected scholars once they are announced.
Ans. We require you to submit one letter of recommendation. The letter can be from your faculty or supervisors at your workplace (internship, part-time job, full-time job). If you are selected as a Venkat Scholar, you will be required to send the recommendation via email to the Venkat Scholarship Team before the retreat date.
Ans. If you’re unable to get a reference from your current university, you can use somebody else. This person should know you well enough to comment on your abilities. Ideally from a member of faculty or a tutor who can comment on your work.