The University of Kalyani: A Legacy of Academic Excellence and Achievements. University of Kalyani. Address: Near Kalyani Ghoshpara Railway Station, District Nadia, Kalyani, West Bengal – 741235. Contact – 033-25822505.
Table of Contents
Introduction: University of Kalyani
The University of Kalyani, located in the picturesque town of Kalyani, West Bengal, India, holds a distinguished place in the realm of higher education. Established in 1960, this Government of West Bengal administered university has been affiliated with the University Grants Commission (UGC) and accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
The University of Kalyani offers a wide range of courses at the Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral levels, making it a significant hub of academic pursuit and research.
University of Kalyani History
The foundation of the University of Kalyani was laid on 1st November 1960 with the enactment of ‘The Kalyani University Act 1960’ by the Government of West Bengal.
The university’s governance is guided by ‘The Kalyani University Act, 1981 (amended up to 2001),’ along with supplementary ‘Statutes,’ ‘Ordinances,’ ‘Regulations,’ and ‘Rules.’ The university received recognition from the University Grants Commission, further solidifying its position as an esteemed institution of learning.
The University of Kalyani is nestled in an urban setting bordered by serene green rural areas. Situated only 2000 meters from the eastern bank of the Ganges, the campus offers a tranquil environment for academic pursuits.
The history of the campus is intriguing, as during the Second World War, it served as an Army depot under the control of the American army. Today, the campus spans over an extensive area of 400 acres, making it the largest State University in West Bengal in terms of area.
Organisation and Administration
The university’s governance is headed by the Vice-Chancellor, who serves as the chief executive officer. Currently, Manas Kumar Sanyal holds the esteemed position of Vice-Chancellor since 20th December 2020.
The university has various faculties and departments organized into six faculty councils, each responsible for specific academic domains.
List of All Vice-Chancellors
|1.||Prof. Sachindranath Das Gupta (01.11.1960 – 31.10.1968)|
|2.||Prof. Sushil Kumar Mukherjee (02.11.1968 – 14.10.1970)|
|3.||Shri. Karunnaketan Sen (14.11.1970 – 05.09.1974|
|4.||Prof. Debkumar Choudhuri (06.09.1974 – 19.12.1974)|
|5.||Prof. Pratul Chandra Mukherjee (01.03.1975 – 30.06.1976)|
|6.||Prof. Tara Bhusan Mukherjee (01.07.1976 – 07.11.1978)|
|7.||Prof. Subimal Kumar Mukherjee (08.11.1978 – 02.11.1979)|
|8.||Prof. Sitangsu Mookerjee (05.06.1980 – 18.06.1986)|
|9.||Prof. Santosh Kumar Sarkar (19.06.1986 – 28.02.1988)|
|10.||Prof. Kalyan Kumar Das Gupta (01.03.1988 – 17.08.1992)|
|11.||Prof. Ashis Kumar Roy (18.08.1992 – 31.07.1995)|
|12.||Prof. Basudeb Barman (01.08.1995 – 31.01.2000)|
|13.||Prof. Nityananda Saha (01.02.2000 – 10.03.2005)|
|14.||Prof. Arabinda Kumar Das (01.09.2005 – 22.10.2009)|
|15.||Prof. Alok Kumar Banerjee (23.10.2009 – 08.02.2013)|
|16.||Prof. Dilipkumar Mohanta (09.02.2013 – 07.11.2013)|
|17.||Prof. Rattan Lal Hangloo (08.11.2013 – 22.12.2015)|
|18.||Prof. Malayendu Saha (23.12.2015 – 19.12.2016)|
|19.||Prof. Sankar Kumar Ghosh (20.12.2016 – 19.12.2020)|
|20.||Prof. Manas Kumar Sanyal (20.12.2020 – 2023)|
|21.||Professor (Dr.) Amalendu Bhunia (Current)|
Faculties and Departments
The University of Kalyani boasts 37 departments organized into six faculties, encompassing a wide array of academic disciplines.
Faculty of Science
- Biochemistry & Biophysics
- Ecological Studies
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
- Environmental Science
Faculty of Engineering, Technology & Management
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Engineering & Technological Studies
- Business Administration
Faculty of Arts & Commerce
- Modern Language
- Political Science
- Rural Developmental Studies
- Library & Information Science
Faculty of Education
- Lifelong Learning & Extension
- Physical Education
Faculty of Music & Fine Arts
- Visual Arts
School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Nanoscience & Nanotechnology
- Data Science
- Genomic Science
Affiliated Colleges: University of Kalyani
The University of Kalyani provides academic guidance and leadership to 57 affiliated colleges and 7 other recognized institutes. Although independent, these colleges follow the Course Curriculum of the university and are an integral part of the educational ecosystem.
Notable Affiliated Colleges
1. Asannagar Madan Mohan Tarkalankar College
2. Berhampore College
3. Berhampore Girls’ College
4. Bethuadahari College
5. Chakdaha College
6. Chapra Bangaljhi Mahavidyalaya
7. Domkal Girls’ College
8. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar College
9. Dukhulal Nibaran Chandra College
10. Dumkal College
11. Dwijendralal College
12. Haringhata Mahavidyalaya
13. Hazi A.K. Khan College
14. Jalangi Mahavidyalaya
15. Jangipur College
16. Jatindra Rajendra Mahavidyalaya
17. Kalyani Mahavidyalaya
18. Kanchrapara College
19. Kandi Raj College
20. Karimpur Pannadevi College
21. Krishnagar Government College
22. Krishnagar Women’s College
23. Krishnath College
24. Lalgola College
25. Murshidabad Adarsha Mahavidyalaya
26. Muzaffar Ahmed Mahavidyalaya
27. Nabadwip Vidyasagar College
28. Nabagram Amar Chand Kundu College
29. Nagar College
30. Nur Mohammad Smriti Mahavidyalaya
31. Panchthupi Haripada Gouribala College
32. Plassey College
33. Pritilata Waddedar Mahavidyalaya
34. Prof. Sayed Nurul Hasan College
35. Raja Birendra Chandra College
36. Ranaghat College
37. Rani Dhanya Kumari College
38. Sagardighi Kamada Kinkar Smriti Mahavidyalaya
39. Santipur College
40. Srikrishna College
41. Sripat Singh College
42. Sewnarayan Rameswar Fatepuria College
43. Subhas Chandra Bose Centenary College
44. Sudhiranjan Lahiri Mahavidyalaya
45. Tehatta Government College
46. Muragacha Government College
47. Government General Degree College, Kaliganj
48. Government General Degree College, Chapra
Self-financed General Degree Colleges
1. Institute of Mass Communication Film & Television Studies
2. G.D. College, Shaikpara
Govt.-aided B.P.Ed. College
1. Union Christian Training College
Self-financed B. P. Ed. Colleges
1. Prabharani Institute of Education
2. Sunil Dhar Memorial B.P.Ed. College
Self-financed Law Colleges
1. Bimal Chandra College of Law
2. J.R.S.E.T. College of Law
3. Mohammad Abdul Bari Institute of Juridical Science
4. S. K. Acharya Institute of Juridical Science
Other Recognized Institutes
1. Central Sericultural Research and Training Institute
2. Kalyani Technology Academy
3. Tagore School of Rural Development and Agricultural Management
4. Dr. K.R. Adhikary College of Optometry & Paramedical Technology
5. Monarch College of Art and Technology
6. Susrijo Institute of Paramedical Technology and Optometry
7. Susrijo Institute of Agricultural Science, Technology and Management
Academics and Achievements
The University of Kalyani has continually maintained academic excellence, as evidenced by its ‘A’ grade (CGPA 3.12) accreditation by the NAAC in 2015. Moreover, the university has received impressive rankings on both national and international platforms.
In the QS Asia Ranking 2020, it secured a place in the 501-550 band among the top 600 Universities in Asia. On the national front, the university ranked 89 among Indian universities in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2022.
Among the many achievements of the university, one notable milestone is the development of the Hepatitis C nosode by Rajesh Shah and a group of Molecular Biologists. The nosode showed promising anti-cancer effects on cell lines in a laboratory model, making it a significant advancement in the field of medical research.
The University of Kalyani has nurtured and shaped several individuals who have made substantial contributions to various fields. Some of its notable alumni include:
- Arijit Singh – Indian playback singer, composer, and music producer.
- Koushik Kar – Indian Actor.
- Mihir Kanti Chaudhuri – Indian Chemist.
- Bimalendu Sinha Roy – Indian Politician.
- Susmita Bose – Indian-American Scientist and Professor.
- Jagannath Sarkar (BJP politician) – Indian Politician.
- Manoj Chakraborty – Indian Politician.
- Babar Ali (teacher) – Notable educationist and the youngest headmaster in the world.
Conclusion: University of Kalyani
The University of Kalyani stands tall as a bastion of knowledge, nurturing bright minds and fostering academic excellence. With its rich history, diverse faculties, and impressive achievements, the university continues to play a pivotal role in shaping the future of education and research in India.
University of Kalyani News
- Walk-In Interview for Guest Faculty at University of Kalyani
- Kalyani University Research/Project Staff Recruitment
- DODL Kalyani Admission 2023: Post Graduate M.A./M.Sc. Programmes
- Kalyani University PhD Admission 2023
- Kalyani University PG Admission 2023-24
- University of Kalyani PhD Admission 2023: University Research Scholars (URS)
- University of Kalyani Post Graduate Admission 2023
FAQs: University of Kalyani
Q. Is the University of Kalyani a Government university?
Yes, the University of Kalyani is a Government of West Bengal administered university.
Q. When was the University of Kalyani established?
The university was established on 1st November 1960.
Q. How is the university ranked nationally and internationally?
The university secured a place in the 501-550 band among the top 600 Universities in Asia according to the QS Asia Ranking 2020. It ranked 89 among universities in India in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2022.
Q. How many affiliated colleges does the University of Kalyani have?
The university provides academic guidance and leadership to 57 affiliated colleges and 7 other recognized institutes.
Q. Who is the current Vice-Chancellor of the University of Kalyani?
The current Vice-Chancellor is Manas Kumar Sanyal, who was appointed on 20th December 2020.
Kalyani University Official Website: https://klyuniv.ac.in/