University of Calcutta PhD Admission Notification for admission to the Ph.D. Programme (RET 2022) in Applied Physics (Instrumentation Engineering)
Applications are invited for admission to the Ph.D. programme in Applied Physics (Instrumentation Engineering). Candidates willing to pursue research work leading to the Ph.D. (Tech.) degree in Applied Physics (Instrumentation Engineering), University of Calcutta may apply as per the criteria below:
Total Number of Seats: 10
(Reservation Policy as per CU Norms)
Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have:
- Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology or its equivalent (equivalence to be approved by the corresponding body of this University), with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale.
- First class Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Master’s degree in Science with at least 55% marks in aggregate. However, they have to pass through an entrance test (short answer type) and / or other formalities as per the CU Ph.D. Regulation, 2016.
A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/ differently-abled and other categories of candidates as per CU Ph.D. Regulations, 2016.
For further information candidates may go through University of Calcutta Ph.D. regulation 2016 available at University website www.caluniv.ac.in.
Application Procedure: University of Calcutta PhD Admission
Candidates should apply to the Head, Department of Applied Physics, in the proforma mentioned below by paying Rs. 100/- (Rupees one hundred only) through a challan obtainable in the College Street cash counter of the University of Calcutta.
- Entrance Test (Applicable to candidates as mentioned in C.U. Ph.D. Regulation, 2016):
- The Ph.D. entrance test will consist of two parts: (a) Written test, and (b) PowerPoint presentation followed by interview. The written test will be of multiple-choice question (MCQ) type and short answer type. The examination will be of 01 (one) hour duration.
- The questions of the written test will, in general, cover topics of Instrumentation Engineering, basics of Physics, Electronics, Communication Systems and Computer Science.
- Qualifying marks for the written test is fixed at 50%.
- The candidates qualified in the written test will have to appear for an interview with a PPT presentation on proposed area of research for final selection.
- The interview will be on the proposed area of research by the candidate and related topics.
- The final selection will be on the basis of the criteria fixed by the department.
- Declaration of names of the selected candidates to be notified later through Departmental Notice Board and / or University website (Subject to approval of the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, CU).
- No TA/DA shall be paid to the candidate for appearing the Entrance Test or called for the Interview.
Important Dates: University of Calcutta PhD Admission
|Date of Publication of Advertisement in University website||August17, 2022|
|Last date for submission of duly filled in admission forms||September 01, 2022|
|Publication of list of candidates to appear at the Entrance Test and list of candidates directly eligible to appear at the interview||September 06, 2022|
|Date, Time and Venue of Entrance Test||September 09, 2022 Department of Applied Physics 12 Noon|
|Publication of list of candidates qualifying for the interview||September 13, 2022|
|Date, Time and Place of interview followed by a presentation on research proposal||September16, 2022 Department of Applied Physics 12 Noon|
|Publication of results (tentative)||September 23, 2022 (Subject to approval of the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, CU)|