West Bengal College Service Commission State Eligibility Test for Assistant Professor SET Exam 2023
“ASANNA” Building, Plot No. DG-10/1, Premises No. 13-0327, Action Area – 1D, Rajarhat, New Town, Kolkata – 700 156
|1. Commencement of online Application||16th August, 2022 (12 Noon)|
|2. Last date for online Application and Payment||15th September, 2022 (12 Midnight)|
|3.Date of Examination||8th January, 2023 (Sunday)|
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for 24th State Eligibility Test for the posts of Assistant Professor in West Bengal only.
- IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
- Before submission of the online Application Form, the candidate should read this notification carefully.
- The State Eligibility Test (SET) will be held on 8th January , 2023 (SUNDAY) for determining the eligibility of Indian nationals for the Eligibility for Assistant Professor only in West Bengal. WBCSC will conduct SET in 33 subjects (listed in Item No. 13) at selected Test Centres of different Districts (listed in Item No. 14) of West Bengal.
- Eligibility for Assistant Professor will depend on the performance of the candidate in both the papers of SET in aggregate. Candidates who qualify the Test for eligibility for Assistant Professor will be governed by the rules and regulations for recruitment of Assistant Professor in West Bengal.
- The result of the SET will be made available in the website: www.wbcsconline.in as and when it is declared. The candidate will not be individually intimated about their result.
- Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST) /Persons with Disability (PWD) /Other Backward Classes (OBC)(Non- creamy layer)/Economically Weaker Section (EWS) Candidates will be given such special concessions as may be decided by the WBCSC under the Guidelines of UGC.
2) CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY
- General/EWS candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from Universities/Institutions recognised by UGC are eligible for this Test. The Other Backward Classes(OBC) belonging to non-creamy layer/ Scheduled Caste(SC) /Scheduled Tribe(ST)/ persons with disability(PWD)/ Transgender category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination from Universities/ Institutions recognised by UGC are eligible for this Test.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or equivalent course or candidates who have appeared for their qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates shall be considered eligible for Assistant Professor only after they (General/EWS) have passed their Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination with at least 55% marks [50% marks in case of OBC falling in Non-creamy layer /SC/ST/PWD (persons with disability)/Transgender category candidates]. Such candidates must complete their Master’s degree or equivalent examination within two years from the date of SET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- Candidates belonging to third gender in other words transgender would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee and qualifying criteria for SET as are available to SC/ST/PWD categories. The subject – wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PWD/OBC/EWS categories in the corresponding subject.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September 1991(irrespective of date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in SET.
- Candidates are required to appear for WB –SET in the subject of their Post Graduation only. In case the subject of a candidate is not included in the list of WB-SET subjects, the candidates may appear in UGC NET/Joint CSIR-UGC Test which is held twice a year.
- Candidates are neither required to send any certificate/document in support of their eligibility nor printout of their Application Form (Confirmation Page) to WBCSC.
However the candidates, in their own interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the Test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the WBCSC at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action.
- Candidates having post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian University/Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign University/institute should, in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/certificate with Master’s degree of
recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi (www.aiu.ac.in).
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for applying for SET. However, for the purpose of recruitment, the relevant Government Order will be applicable.
Reservation Policy of Govt. of West Bengal is applicable : SC 22%, ST 6%, OBC-A( NCL) 10%, OBC-B (NCL) 7%, EWS 10% and 4% reservation for PWD Candidates with not less than 40% disability .
The categories of disabilities are :
A) Blindness & low vision
- Locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability, mental illness and multiple disabilities and other specified disabilities.
- NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors. In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
- The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET/SET.
- The candidates who have cleared the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
5) EXAMINATION FEE AND MODE OF PAYMENT
|Category||General||Other Backward Classes (Non- creamy layer)/EWS||SC/ST/PWD/ Transgender|
|Examination Fee||Rs. 1200/-||Rs. 600/-||Rs.300/-|
- The candidates may pay the examination fee either by credit card/ debit card/internet banking. The additional processing charges as following will be applicable.
Credit Card: 1.20% of the examination fee plus GST as applicable Debit Card : Nil
Internet Banking : Rs. 10/- per transaction plus GST as applicable
- The candidates are required to check the status of fee payment at WBCSC website www.wbcsconline.in and if the status is ‘OK’ the candidate will be able to take the printout of Confirmation Page.
In case, the fee payment status is not ‘OK’, it means the transaction is cancelled and the amount will be refunded to concerned credit card/debit card /internet banking account within a week. Such candidates have to pay the fee once again.
Please note that fee submitted by any other mode like Bank Challan, money order, demand draft, IPO etc. will be rejected. Fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
- SCHEME AND DATE OF TEST
The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be held on 8th January, 2023 (SUNDAY) in two separate sessions as under:
|Session||Paper||Marks||Number of Question||Duration|
|First||I||100||50 questions, all are compulsory||1 Hour (10:30 A.M. to 11:30 A.M.) IST|
|Second||II||200||100 questions, all are compulsory||2 Hours (12:00 Noon to 02:00 P.M.) IST|
Paper-I shall consist of 50 objective type compulsory questions, each carrying 2 marks. The questions which will be of general nature, intended to assess the teaching, research aptitude of the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate.
Paper-II shall consist of 100 objective type compulsory questions, each carrying 2 marks which will be based on the subject selected by the candidate. All the questions of Paper – II will be compulsory, covering entire syllabi of earlier Paper II & Paper – III (including all electives, without options).
The candidate will have to mark the responses for questions of Paper – I & Paper – II on the OMR Sheet provided along with the test booklet.
The detailed instructions for filling up the OMR sheet are given in Item No. 16. It may be noted that these instructions will not be sent to any of the candidates by post.
- PROCEDURE & CRITERIA FOR DECLARATION OF RESULT
The following steps will be followed:
Step I: The number of candidates to be qualified (total slots) for Eligibility for Assistant Professor shall be equal to 6% of the candidates appeared in both the papers of SET.
Step II: The total slots shall be allocated to different categories as per the reservation policy of Government of West Bengal.
Step III: In order to be considered for ‘Eligibility for Assistant Professor’, the candidate must have appeared in both the papers and secured at least 40% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together for General (Unreserved) category/EWS candidates and at least 35% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together for all candidates belonging to the reserved categories [viz., SC, ST, OBC (belonging to Non-Creamy Layer)/PWD] and Transgender.
Step IV: The number of candidates to be declared qualified in any subject for a particular category is derived as per the following methodology illustrated below:
The aggregate percentage of the two papers corresponding to the number of slots arrived at, shall determine the qualifying cut-off for Eligibility for Assistant Professor in ‘English’ (say) for the ST category.
Similar yardstick shall be employed for deriving the subject-wise qualifying cut-offs for all categories. Similar allocation procedure is used for all subjects and categories.
The subject -wise cut-offs for transgender should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PWD/OBC/EWS categories in the corresponding subject.
It may be noted that the above qualifying criteria decided by WBCSC is final and binding.
- PROVISIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITY (INCLUDING VISUALLY CHALLENGED CANDIDATES)
HAVING 40% OR MORE DISABILITY
- Twenty minutes compensatory time shall be provided for Paper – I and forty minutes for Paper – II separately.
- The persons with minimum 40% Disability (Physically Challenged) candidates who are not in a position to write in their own hand-writing can also avail the services of scribe. Compensatory time and facility of scribe would not be provided to other Persons with Disability (Physically Challenged) candidates.
- The candidate has the discretion of opting for his/her own scribe or has to request the concerned Officer-in-charge of the Test Centre for the same in writing at least one week in advance of the test. In such instances the candidate is allowed to meet the scribe a day before the examination so as to verify whether the scribe is suitable or not. Those candidates who opt for their own scribe have to produce the scribe before the concerned Officer-in-charge of the Test Centre along with his/her certificates of educational qualifications at least one day before the test.
- There is no provision of Test Booklets in Braille for visually impaired candidates.
- The candidates with disability should fill in the percentages and type of disability correctly in the online application form of SET.
9) ADMIT CARD FOR SET
It may be noted that the admit card will be uploaded on the website www.wbcsconline.in in 3rd week of December, 2022. No Admit Cards will be sent to the candidates by post. The candidates should download their Admit Cards from the website to ascertain their venue of the Test as mentioned in the Admit Card and appear in the examination only at the designated examination center. No candidate will be allowed to appear at the examination center other than that allotted to him/her in the admit card.
- HOW TO APPLY (APPLICATIONS HAVE TO BE SUBMITTED ONLINE)
STEPS FOR SUBMISSION OF ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Candidate seeking admission to the Test (SET) must apply online only on the WBCSC website.
- Before applying online, the candidates must possess the scanned images as below:
#Passport size photograph in JPG format of minimum 4kb to 40 kb. The dimension of the photograph should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5 cm (height).
#Signature in JPG format of minimum 4kb to 30 kb. The dimension of the signature should be 3.5 cm (width) x 1.5 cm (height).
- After filling all the details for applying online for SET, the candidates have to opt for payment of examination fee either by credit card/debit card/internet banking.
iv) The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card along with their printout of online admit card on the day of examination.
- Before applying Online, candidates are advised to go through detailed notification available on WBCSC website www.wbcsconline.in Please note that Fee submitted through any other mode like Bank Challan, Money Order, Demand Draft, IPO etc. will be summarily rejected.
- In order to avoid last minute rush, the candidates are advised to apply early enough. WBCSC will not be responsible for network problems or any other problem of this nature in submission of online application during last days.
11) GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
- The candidates must read the conditions of eligibility as given at Item no. 2 carefully and must satisfy themselves regarding their eligibility for the Test before filling the online application Form.
- Submission of Online Application is mandatory. Hard copies of application form will not be accepted by WBCSC.
- Application Form must be completed in all respects as per the Notification.
- All incomplete Application Forms will be summarily rejected.
v) Applications submitted on any other format will not be accepted.
- Printout of online application (Confirmation Page) should be kept by the candidate for further reference.
vii) No applications can be submitted after the last date and no fee will be accepted after last date in any circumstances.
- The refund (if any) will be transferred online to the concerned credit/debit card/internet banking account, so the candidates are advised to pay from their own credit/debit card.
- The Candidate should note that their candidature is strictly provisional. The mere fact that Admit Card has been issued and the candidate is allowed to appear in the test shall not imply that the WBCSC has finally accepted his/her candidature.
x) WBCSC may change the Centre of examination or date of examination without assigning any reason.
- It may be noted that the Admit Card will be uploaded on the website in the 3rd week of December, 2022. The candidates are requested to ascertain their venue of the test as mentioned in the Admit Card and appear in the examination only at the designated examination center. No candidate will be allowed to appear at the examination center other than that allotted to him/her in the Admit Card.
- The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card also along with their printout of online Admit Card on the day of examination. No candidate will be allowed to appear in the examination whose Admit Card is not issued by the WBCSC.
- To ensure fair conduct of examination frisking of the candidates will be done properly at main entry gate of the exam center. The candidates should report at the examination center 1 hr 30 minutes prior to commencement of examination and cooperate with the invigilators in frisking. No candidate will be allowed to enter the examination center/hall after commencement of examination. No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall/room before completion of examination in each session.
- The use of calculators or Log Tables is not permitted. Mobile phones, pagers, electronic devices, bits of paper, books/note books etc. are not allowed in the Examination Hall/Room. The candidate(s) found in possession of any of these items in the examination hall/room will be treated as adopting unfair means and his/her result will not be declared.
- The candidates have to follow the instructions given by the invigilators in the examination hall/ room and should not argue with the invigilators or other staff involved in the examination duty at the examination centre. The candidates, who will not follow the instructions, will be treated as adopting unfair means and his/her result will not be declared.
- In the examination hall/room, the candidates will neither talk to each other nor discuss any matter during the examination. The candidates should not disturb the other candidates in the examination room and maintain complete silence during the examination. The candidate violating these instructions will be treated as adopting unfair means and his/her result will not be declared.
- Candidates will not be allowed to write any question from the Test Booklet on the Admit Card or on any other paper.
- The candidate shall have to return the OMR Sheet of Paper I & II to the Invigilator before leaving the examination hall/room.
- No TA will be paid to the candidates, on account of appearing at the examination etc
- Answer keys of all the papers will be displayed on the website www.wbcsconline.in after examination (the exact dates will be notified later in the website). The feedback of answer keys will be accepted only through e-mail id which will be notified in due course. The WBCSC’s decision on the feedback of answer keys shall be final and the result will be declared on the basis of final answer keys
- There are no negative marks of incorrect answers.
- The marks of all the candidates will be uploaded on WBCSC website soon after declaration of result. Besides this, WBCSC will not issue any marks sheet to qualified/non qualified candidates.
- The certificates will be issued to all the qualified candidates which will be notified in due course.
xxiv) No grievance with regard to answer key(s) after declaration of result of SET will be entertained.
- Canvassing in any form will disqualify the candidate.
- The decision of the WBCSC shall be final in all matters.
- All legal disputes pertaining to this Test shall fall within the jurisdiction of Calcutta High Court only.
12) CHECK LIST FOR FILLING THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
The candidates are advised to ensure the following points before filling the Online Application forms:
- Whether they fulfill the eligibility conditions for the Test as prescribed under the heading
‘CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY’.
- That they have filled their CATEGORY, viz, GENERAL / OBC (non-creamy layer) / EWS/SC / ST / PWD/ Transgender, in the relevant column correctly.
- That they have filled their subject and centre of examination (district ) in the relevant columns correctly.
- That the Person with Disability (PWD) candidates have filled the relevant column in the online application form.
- Whether they have kept a printout of application form (confirmation page) for their own record.
13) SUBJECT & SYLLABUS OF TEST
All questions of Paper – II will be compulsory, covering entire syllabus of earlier Paper – II & Paper –III (including all electives, without options). Syllabi for all SET subjects can be downloaded from the website www.wbcsconline.in and WBCSC will not send the syllabus to individual candidates.
The list of SET subjects along with their respective codes is as given below:
|19||LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE|
|25||MASS COMMUNICATION & JOURNALISM|
Candidates are required to appear for WB –SET in the subject of their Post Graduation only. In case the subject of a candidate is not included in the list of WB-SET subjects, the candidates may appear in UGC NET/Joint CSIR-UGC Test which is held twice a year.
14) CENTRES OF EXAMINATION
The candidates have to select any two districts of their choice for Examination of SET. The efforts will be made to allot Centre of Examination to the candidates according to the choice opted by them in their application form. However, in some exceptional circumstances, a different Test Centre of nearby area may be allotted.
|12||SOUTH 24 PARGANAS|
|13||NORTH 24 PARGANAS|
- TIME SCHEDULE FOR SET
|DATE OF EXAMINATION : 08/01/2023||PAPER – I||PAPER – II|
|a) Entry in the Examination Hall||09.00 AM (IST)||11.45 AM (IST)|
|b) Distribution of Test Booklet||10.20 AM(IST)||11.50 AM (IST)|
|c) Seal of the Test Booklet to be broken/ opened to take out the Answer Sheet||10.25 AM(IST)||11.55 AM (IST)|
|d) Last entry in the Examination Hall||10.30 AM (IST)||12.00 NOON (IST)|
|e) Test commences||10.30 AM(IST)||12.00 NOON (IST)|
|f) Test concludes||11.30 AM (IST)||02.00 PM(IST)|
16) INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE OF TEST BOOKLET AND ANSWER SHEET
The candidates will find the Answer Sheet placed inside the sealed Test Booklet. The seal will be broken/ opened by the candidates on the announcement by the invigilator and the Answer Sheet shall be taken out. Do not open/break the seal before the announcement. The candidates should verify the serial number and series of the Test Booklet with the serial number and series of OMR sheet. In case of any variation, the Test Booklet and OMR sheet should be immediately returned to the
invigilator for the replacement with another set of same series available in the examination hall/centre.
- Each Test Booklet will have a pre-printed Series like X, Y, Z . The candidates are required to check that the Series pre-printed on the Test Booklet is correctly entered in the Answer Sheet.
b) The Answer Sheet (OMR) used will be of special type which will be scanned on Optical Scanner.
All the responses of the OMR Sheet are to be filled in neatly and accurately by the candidate with Black ball point pen only. Use of pencil is strictly prohibited.
c) IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR MARKING THE RESPONSES
- Out of four alternatives for each question, only one circle for the correct answer is to be darkened completely with Black Ball Point Pen only. For example Question No. 005 in the Test Booklet reads as follows:
Charminar is situated in
The correct response to this question is (B) Hyderabad. The candidate will locate Question No. 005 in the Answer Sheet and darken the circle (B) as shown below:
- Use Black Ball Point Pen to completely darken the appropriate circle, i.e. one circle for each entry. The answer once marked is not liable to be changed. Use of pencil is strictly prohibited. If any candidate uses the pencil for darkening the answer sheet, his/her answer sheet will be rejected. (iii)A light or faintly darkened circle is a wrong method of marking and liable to be rejected by the Optical Scanner. So, the circle should be properly darkened. Any other partial or ‘X’ or ‘P’ may not get captured by the scanner.
- The Correct way of marking is shown below:
- If the candidate does not want to attempt any question he/she should not darken any circle corresponding to the question.
- Please do not fold the Answer Sheet and do not make any stray marks on it.
d) ROUGH WORK
The candidate will not do any rough work on the Answer Sheet. All rough work is to be done in the Test Booklet itself.
e) CHANGING AN ANSWER IS NOT ALLOWED
The candidates must fully satisfy themselves about the accuracy of the answer before darkening the appropriate circle as no change in answer once marked is allowed. Use of eraser or white/correction fluid on the Answer Sheet is not permissible as the Answer Sheets are machine gradable and it may lead to wrong evaluation. If more than one circle is darkened or if the response is marked in any other manner except the ‘Correct Method’ shown above, it shall be treated as wrong way of marking.
Prior to handing over the Answer Sheet soon after the examination is over, the candidate must sign the attendance sheet as a proof thereof. The examinee is permitted to take away the Test Booklet.
· Persons removing pages from the test-booklet during examination, impersonating or trying to appear through forged means will be dealt with as per law.
- Canvassing directly or indirectly or influencing staff by unfair means would lead to serious consequences including disqualification of the candidates.
The date of examination is subjected to change due to unavoidable circumstances.