IISER Bhopal PhD Admission 2023-24. Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal (Ministry of Education, Govt. of India) Advt. No.: ISERB/DOAA/2023/02 September 17, 2023.
Table of Contents
Notice for Ph.D. Admission for Academic Year 2023-24
The process of admissions in all IISERs is managed by the Joint Admissions Committee (JAC), headed by a Chairman and having members from all IISERs. The details regarding admissions in all IISERs can be obtained at www.iiseradmission.in.
Applications are invited for the semester commencing from January 2024,
Ph.D. Programme (For National and International Students)
Natural Sciences Stream: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics.
Engineering Sciences Stream: Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Data Science and Engineering.
Humanities and Social Sciences Stream: Economic Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences (Philosophy).
IISER Bhopal PhD Admission 2023-24
Applications are invited for admission to Ph.D. programme in Biological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Data Science and Engineering, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Economic Sciences, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Humanities and Social Sciences (English, Sociology/Social Anthropology, Science and Technology Studies and Philosophy), and Physics for the semester commencing from January 24.
A. General Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s or equivalent degree in Engineering/Technology, or
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology, or
- Master’s or equivalent degree in science, or
- Master’s or equivalent degree in Arts/Commerce (or allied subjects)
For qualifying degree listed under (2), (3) & (4), candidates must also fulfil anyone of the following additional requirements:
- Valid GATE score
- Selected through National Eligibility Test – UGC NET /CSIR/NBHM etc. including lectureship (Assistant Professorship)
- Selected through a National level examination conducted by MHRD or its agencies /Institutions such as UGC/ IIT/ IISc./ IISER/ IIIT etc.
- Selected provisionally for the DST-INSPIRE Fellowship (provisional award letter to be produced)
- Those with B.Tech. from IITs or BS-MS from IISERs with CGPA/CPI more than 8.0 on a 10 point scale.
In addition to general eligibility criterion, the applicants must also satisfy the eligibility criteria specified for the respective Departments.
B. Marks / CGPA / CPI requirement in Qualifying Degrees (listed above):
1. Minimum of 60% marks or CGPA/CPI of 7.0 on a 10 point scale (overall percentage/CGPA/CPI; not just in the majoring subject).
2. A relaxation of 10% of marks, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, will on B(1) be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories and 5% to OBC-NCL/EWS.
If the transcript/grade sheet issued by the Institute/University reports:
- Only marks: percentage will be considered
- Only grades: CGPA/CPI will be considered. If CGPA/CPI is reported on any scale other than 10 (eg. 4 point/ 8 point scale), an equivalent CGPA/CPI will be calculated as per the following formula: CGPA/CPI in a 10 point scale = (CGPA/CPI Obtained×10)/PS PS = Point scale used by the Institute/University.
- Both marks and CGPA/CPI: Percentage equivalent of CGPA/CPI, as indicated on the transcript/gradesheet, will be considered. The conversion factor must be available in the transcript/grade sheet/certificate issued by competent authority.
C. AGE LIMIT:
Preferably not more than 28 years. Age relaxation of 3 years will be given for OBC (Non Creamy Layer) and 5 years for SC/ST/PD/Female applicants. Upper age limit shall be determined as on last date of online submission of applications. Date of Birth as recorded in the Matriculation/ Secondary Examination Certificate/Aadhar Card only will be accepted by the IISER Bhopal for determining the age.
All selected candidates will be eligible to receive JRF fellowship as per the funding agency/Institue norms, in vogue.
E. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview. Date of interview will be communicated to shortlisted candidates by e-mail and the same will be available on the Institute website.
- TA will be paid to SC/ST candidates appearing for the interview as per Govt. of India norms.
F. IMPORTANT NOTES: IISER Bhopal PhD Admission 2023-24
- All communication with candidates will be by e-mail only.
- Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
- In case of any application-related queries, your application number must be mentioned in the subject line.
- Candidates who are appearing or are about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree programme are eligible to apply for PhD programme. However, if selected, admission to the PhD programme would be conditional upon their completing the qualifying degree with the defined marks criteria, before joining the institute.
- Selection will be based on interviews of the shortlisted candidates.
- Relaxation of eligibility criteria for SC/ST and PD applicants will be as per Government of India norms. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates, if selected.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests and/or written screening test) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.
- Students whose results for CSIR-JRF/UGC-JRF/INSPIRE-PhD Fellowship or NET-LS or Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship any other equivalent fellowship are awaited may also apply with their roll number(s) mentioned in the application. Such candidates may walk-in for the interview provided they have qualified examination for any of the above fellowship before the interview date.
After the last date, all applications will be screened and the list of candidates shortlisted for interviews will be available on our Institute’s website and shortlisted candidates will be intimated by email only.
Departmental Specific Requirements & Research Areas
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES : To submit the Online PhD Application for Biological Sciences, please Click here
CHEMICAL ENGINEERING : To submit the Online PhD Application for Chemical Engineering, please Click here
CHEMISTRY : To submit the Online PhD Application for Chemistry, please Click here
DATA SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING : To submit the Online PhD Application for Data Science and Engineering , please Click here
EARTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES : To submit the Online PhD Application for Earth and Environmental Sciences, please Click here
ECONOMIC SCIENCES :To submit the Online PhD Application for Economic Sciences, please Click here
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING & COMPUTER SCIENCE : To submit the Online PhD Application for Electrical Engineering & Computer Sci., please Click here
HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES : To submit the Online PhD Application for Humanities and Social Sciences, please Click here
MATHEMATICS : To submit the Online PhD Application for Mathematics, please Click here
PHYSICS : To submit the Online PhD Application for Physics, please Click here
Details of qualification, eligibility, application form and application procedure are available on https://www.iiserb.ac.in/doaa/admission
Last Date for Submission of Application: October 16, 2023 (Updates, if any, shall be notified on the Institute website)