Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta Admission to Ph.D. Programme 2023.
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for admission to Ph.D. Programme 2023. The Ph.D. programme is affiliated to Jadavpur University, Kolkata. After the completion of the programme, students will obtain Jadavpur University’s degree.
Table of Contents
Applications are invited for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, only for Economics (restricted to the sub-fields mentioned below)
Economics: Centre for Studies in Social Sciences
- Macroeconomics, Labor Economics, International Trade
- Corporate investment, (2) Finance in macroeconomic models.
Please note that research proposals that fall outside discipline of Economics and sub-fields mentioned above will not be considered and hence the relevant application of the concerned candidate will stand cancelled. The CSSSC’s decision in this regard will be final.
The Ph.D Programme is affiliated to Jadavpur University, Kolkata. For selection the Reservation Policy of the Government of West Bengal will be applicable.
A maximum of three (03) candidates will be admitted to the Ph.D. Programme of 2023.
- Eligible candidates must have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed). The Masters degree (or its equivalent) may be in any of the social science disciplines or from non-Social Science disciplines.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(A) (non-creamy layer) /OBC(B) (non-creamy layer)/ Differently abled candidates or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19 September, 1991.
I. All applicants must have completed results of 2-Year MA or equivalent degree from any university/institute recognized by the UGC.
- Application forms can be downloaded from CSSSC’s website.
2. Applications must include the following:
a. A completed application form
b. Research Proposal. This should contain a brief description, in NOT MORE THAN 1000 WORDS, of the applicant’s central research problem. The proposal should include a discussion of relevant research questions, a critical review of the existing literature relevant to the applicant’s general research area and specific research problem, and an explanation of the chosen methodology for the research project. The proposal should have a title and your name should be mentioned.
c. Self-attested copies of the testimonials of all the following examinations passed:
i. Masters (1st year and 2nd year) semester mark sheets and degree certificate. In case results have been declared but mark sheets have not been issued, a letter to this effect is required from the concerned authority.
ii. Self-attested copies of the Admit Card/ Certificate of School Leaving Examination (for age verification)
Please note: If selected for the PhD programme the candidate is required to submit the following documents:
a. Class 10 mark sheet and pass certificate
b. Class 12 mark sheet and pass certificate
c. Graduation (1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year) semester mark sheets and degree certificate
d. Candidates applying under SC / ST / PD must enclose self-attested copies of certificates/documents issued by a competent authority. (Also see 2 under “Enrolment” below)
e. Candidates applying under OBC-(A) / OBC-(B) must enclose self-attested copies of certificates/documents issued by a competent authority. (Also see 2 under “Enrolment” below) not earlier than October 2022.
f. Candidates should attach along with their application form a demand draft of Rs. 500/- (non- refundable) drawn in favour of ‘Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta’payable in Kolkata. Please note that the name of the city (Calcutta) is a part of the name of the Centre and MUST be included. All candidates should write their name in BLOCK LETTERS along with contact number at the back of the Demand Draft.
3. The completed application form with all supporting documentation is to be submitted in the M.Phil- Ph. D Office of the CSSSC between 10.30am-1.30 pm, and 3.00-5.30 pm on all working days (except Saturdays and Sundays). Completed applications may also be sent by post or courier to the following address:
Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
R-1, Baishnabghata Patuli Township, Kolkata – 700 094
Note: In addition to the hard-copy of the proposal, all applicants are required to send their research proposals, with a title and the applicant’s name clearly mentioned, in Word or pdf format by email to [email protected]
4. The last date for receiving completed applications by post, including self attested copies of all documents as mentioned above is 30th June 2023. Incomplete applications, or those received after the last date will not be considered.
Admission Process : Centre for Studies in Social Sciences
5. i. Eligible candidates will have to appear for an entrance test of one-hour duration and will be called for an interview only if they qualify in the entrance test.
ii. Candidates who have already passed M.Phil. (two-year) in Economics /NET /SET/JRF in Economics need not appear for the written entrance test but will have to appear for the interview.
iii. Candidate who has a two-year M.Phil. degree in Economics from any university other than Jadavpur University will be required to submit a certificate from the competent authority stating that the selection to the M.Phil course has been made through a written test and that a full paper on Research Methodology of at least one semester duration was taught in the M.Phil course. Otherwise waiver from Entrance Test and course-work shall not be granted.
Note: Only those scholars having the M.Phil degree in Economics will be granted exemption from coursework.
6. The minimum marks in the written entrance test, in order to qualify for the interview is 10 out of a maximum of 20 marks, for candidates applying under general category. Applicants under reserved category will be assessed as per the relevant government order.
7. The entrance test will consist of two questions, each carrying equal weight. Both questions will be with an emphasis on mathematical economics. Sample question papers are available on the Centre’s website.
8. The final selection will be made on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the interview, and will be based on the feasibility of the project being conducted at the CSSSC, the availability of a suitable faculty supervisor for the specific topic of the applicant’s research proposal, strength of the research proposal, and applicant’s awareness of the conceptual and methodological issues and debates within the concerned discipline.
9. Visually challenged students may arrange to have a scribe to assist them in the examination.
- The maximum number of students that may be admitted to the Ph.D. Programme 2023 (including the number of reserved candidates) is 03 (three). In accordance with the reservation rules of the West Bengal state government, the break-up of the 03 seats would be as follows: General – 2 and SC – 1
2. In keeping with the rules of West Bengal state government, SC/ST/OBC candidates of states other than West Bengal are not entitled to get the benefit of reserved quota in educational institutions in West Bengal unless they can produce Domicile Certificate issued by the competent authority showing residence in West Bengal for at least ten years.
- A provisional list of candidates selected for the Ph.D. Programme 2023 will be put up on the Centre’s website only after the approval of the Doctorate Committee (Arts) of Jadavpur University.
- Provisionally selected candidates will be sent a letter from the Ph.D. Cell, Faculty of Arts, Jadavpur University. The admission procedure will take place in Jadavpur University.
- Fees: Enrollment in the Centre’s Ph.D Programme costs Rs. 22,000. Payment can be made in three 6-monthly installments of Rs. 8000, Rs. 8000 and 6,000. The payment has to be made at the Cash Counter of Jadavpur University. (Copy of the cash receipt has to be submitted to the Centre’s Ph. D. office).
- All admissions are provisional.
Schedule of Application and Admission Process
- The provisional schedule of the application, selection, and admission process is as follows. If any changes are made in this due to unavoidable circumstances, this will be announced on the Centre’s website and the Notice Board.
- Last Date for receiving application forms: 30th June, 2023
- Provisional list of candidates eligible for Admission Test: 4th July 2023
- Written Entrance Test: 12th July 2023
- Provisional list of candidates to be called for Interview: Around 21st July 2023
- Interview: 1st Week of August 2023
- Provisional list of selected and wait listed candidates: Will be informed in due course
- Selected candidates will have to carry out research under the supervision of a member of the CSSSC faculty, and will have to register for a Ph. D. degree with Jadavpur University. The CSSSC Doctoral Programme requires students to participate regularly in its academic programmes. A detailed regulation about the Ph. D. programme will be mailed in due course.
- Applicants may note that the Centre has no hostel facilities.
1. The provisional schedule of the application, selection, and admission process is as follows. If any changes are made in this due to unavoidable circumstances, this will be announced on the Centre’s website and the Notice Board.
a. Last Date for receiving application forms: 30th June, 2023
b. Provisional list of candidates eligible for Admission Test: 4th July 2023
c. Written Entrance Test: 12th July 2023
d. Provisional list of candidates to be called for Interview: Around 21st July 2023
e. Interview: 1st Week of August 2023
f. Provisional list of selected and wait listed candidates: Will be informed in due course
2. Time and Venue of the (a) Admission Test (b) Interview will be announced on the Centre’s website.
Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
R-1, Baishnabghata Patuli Township, Kolkata 700094