Application for The Posts of Assistant Professor in State Aided Degree Colleges of West Bengal. (ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER -1/2020)
West Bengal College Service Commission (WBCSC)
The West Bengal College Service Commission was established by an Act passed in the West Bengal Legislative Assembly in 1979. Its main functions are to select and recommend Assistant Professors, Librarians and Principals to all (nearly 500) the Government-aided Colleges in West Bengal, as well as to conduct the State Eligibility Test (SET). The Act of 1979 was revised in 2012 and 2017.
Commencement of On-line Application: 31/12/2020
Last date of On-line Application: 15/02/2021
Candidates should apply only online through www.wbcsconline.in
West Bengal College Service Commission Recruitment Assistant Professor in State Aided Degree Colleges of West Bengal
Applications are invited from Indian Citizens (and such other nationals as are declared eligible by Govt. of India) for recruitment in the different Subjects.
Posts: Assistant Professor in different subjects of Government-aided Colleges (General Degree Colleges) in West Bengal.
Vacancy: The vacancy calculation shall be done in accordance with the terms laid down in the West Bengal College Service Commission (Manner of Selection of Persons for Appointment to the posts of Assistant Professors, Principals, and Librarians and Recommendation of Assistant Professor) Regulations.
The vacancy cut-off date and the exact number of all vacancies (subject-wise, category-wise, and College-wise) will be notified before the publication of the merit panel.
The Commission’s responsibility is restricted to the accurate compilation of vacancies as reported by Colleges and the Commission is not responsible for any error in reporting of vacancies from the end of College(s).
The Commission will not be responsible for the absence of vacancy under any category of any subject for non-receipt of requisition from any State-aided college.
The minimum eligibility conditions contained in this advertisement are
governed by the provisions of the West Bengal Government Notification No. 976- Edn(CS)/8R-1/2010 dated 18/12/2020.
The Commission, however, can introduce additional parameters in order to select candidates of higher merit, as laid down in the abovementioned Regulation. Therefore, mere possession of eligibility does not confer any right to an applicant to be selected or empanelled.
Selection & Recommendation
The eligible candidates will be called for interview for selection. However, the Commission may, at its discretion, call for interview of short-listed applicants after preliminary selection on the basis of qualifications (MP or Equivalent, HS or Equivalent, UG, P.G., M.Phil/Ph.D., NET/SET).
The overall selection procedure shall incorporate a transparent objective and credible methodology of analysis of the merits and credentials of the applicants based on weightages given to the performance of the candidate in different relevant dimensions.
Recommendation shall be done on the basis of a merit-cum-preference system of counselling, (please refer to point number 3 in the Information and Instruction section).
For the purpose of counselling, merit refers to the rank in the provisional merit panel. Empanelment will not confer any right to a candidate to be recommended.
Entry Pay at Academic Level 10 of Rs. 57, 700/-
Qualifications for Recruitment of Assistant Professor in different Subjects
(I) Assistant Professor: Arts, Commerce, Humanities, Science, Social Sciences, Commerce, Education, Languages, Law, Library Science, Physical Education & Journalism and Mass Communication.
(i) Consistently good academic record with at least 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) at the Master’s Degree level in the concerned/relevant/allied subject, along with relaxations applicable to specified categories, as explained in Proviso – I to this rules.
(ii) The candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC or CSIR or similar test accredited by UGC and conducted by various State Governments like SLET/ SET along with exemptions to specified categories, as explained in Proviso-II to this rules.
(II) Assistant Professor: Music, Performing Arts, Visual Arts and other Traditional Indian Art Forms like Sculpture
(i) Consistently good academic record with at least 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) at the Master’s Degree level in a relevant subject or an equivalent degree from an Indian/foreign University along with relaxations applicable to specified categories as explained in Proviso-I to this rules.
(ii) The candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC/ CSIR or similar test accredited by the UGC and conducted by various State Governments like SLET/ SET along with relaxations applicable to specified categories, as given in Proviso-II of this rules
A traditional or a professional artist with highly commendable professional
achievement in the concerned subject, who should have:–
(i) Studied under noted/ reputed traditional masters/Artist(s) and has thorough knowledge to explain the subject concerned;
(ii) A high grade artist of AIR/ TV; and
(iii) Ability to explain the logical reasoning of the subject concerned and adequate knowledge to teach theory with illustrations in that discipline.
Proviso – I: Relaxation of Marks for Direct Recruitment of Assistant Professor.
(i) A relaxation of 5% may be provided at the Bachelor’s and Master’s Level for the candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Differentlyabled (as available under the Rights of Persons with Disabilites ACT, 2016) and Other Backward Classes (OBC-A, OBC-B) (Non-creamy Layer) categories for the purpose of eligibility and for assessing good academic records during direct recruitment to teaching positions.
(ii) For Ph.D. Degree holders who have obtained their Master’s degree prior to September 19, 1991, the minimum qualifying marks of 55% is relaxable by 5% marks (from 55% to 50%) at the Master’s Level.
(iii) The eligibility marks of 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point
scale, wherever grading system is followed,) and the relaxation of 5% to the
categories mentioned above are permissible, based on only the qualifying
marks without including any grace mark procedures.
(iv) All the essential qualifications must have been obtained from a recognized University/ Institute.
Note: – Recognized University/ Institute shall mean a University or an
Institute approved or recognized by the University Grants Commission or
other Statutory/ Apex bodies, or recognized by the State Government or the
Central Government as a center of higher learning.
In the case of a foreign University, the Degree concerned should be recognized/ approved as equivalent to its Indian counterpart by the Association of Indian Universities.
Proviso – II: Exemption from NET/SLET/SET for the Post of Assistant Professor.
(i) The candidates who have been awarded Ph.D. Degree in the same or in a
relevant subject in accordance with the University Grants Commission
(Minimum Standards and Procedure for award of Ph.D. Degree) Regulations, 2009 are exempted from qualifying in the Eligibility Test (NET/SLET/SET).
(ii) Candidates registered for Ph.D. programme prior to 11 July, 2009 shall be
exempted from qualifying in the Eligibility Test (NET/SLET/SET) as given below:–
The award of Degree to a candidate registered for the Ph.D. programme prior to July 11,2009, shall be governed by the provisions of the then-existing Ordinances/ Bye laws/ Regulations of the institutions awarding the Degree in the same or relevant subject shall be exempted from the requirement of NET/SLET/SET, subject to fulfillment of the following conditions:–
(a) Ph.D. degree of the candidate awarded in regular mode only;
(b) Evaluation of the Ph.D. thesis by at least two external examiners;
(c) Open Ph.D. viva voce of the candidate had been conducted;
(d) Candidate has published two research papers from his Ph.D. work out of
which at least one must be in a refereed journal;
(e) Candidate has made at least two presentations in conferences/ seminars,
based on his Ph. D. work.
Note: – the above noted (a) to (e) are to be certified by the Vice-Chancellor/
Pro-Vice-Chancellor / Dean (Academic Affairs)/ Dean (University instructions) of concerned University/ Institution.
(iii) NET/SLET/SET shall also not be required for such Master’s Programmes in disciplines for which NET/SLET/SET is not conducted.
Relevant/ allied disciplines in each case, good academic record may be decided by the appropriate bodies of the concerned University
(i) The upper age limit is 40 ( Forty years) on the 1st January of the year of the advertisement and relaxable up to 5 years for SC/ST and 3 years for OBC category (non-creamy layer) candidates for the post of Assistant Professor. Differently-abled candidates (except in the post of Physical Education) are entitled to an age relaxation of 10 years.
(ii) Exceptionally qualified over-aged candidates having Ph. D Degree, with evidence of significant post-doctoral research work, may be called for the interview at the discretion of the WBCSC only in the rarest cases. But mere participation in the selection process does not entitled the candidate for recommendation unless the overage of the incumbents condoned by the State Government at its discretion on case- to-case basis, purely on merit, normally not exceeding one percent of the total number of candidates of concerned panel, rounded off to the next whole number.
(iii) For the Approved State Aided College Teachers (SACT) the upper age limit for applying to the post of Assistant Professor is 47 (forty-seven) years on the 1st January of the year of Advertisement, subject to the same principles and quantum of relaxation as mentioned above in clause 5 (i), which will be counted from the base level of 47 years for this category of candidates.
Proficiency, spoken and written in the medium of instruction in the concerned Institution as received by the WBCSC in the requisition where to be recruited.
The extant rules regarding reservation of posts for SC / ST / OBC- A /
OBC B/PWD issued by the State Government from time to time.
[Followed by the concerned College authorities in authentication of the Register of Appointment by the appropriate Govt. Dept. and forwarded to WBCSC in the form of requisition].
A candidate claiming to be S.C., S.T., O.B.C.(Non-creamy layer) or a person with disability
(40% and above) must have a certificate in support of his / her claim from a competent authority as specified below.
For S.C., S.T. & O.B.C. Candidates
[ Vide the West Bengal Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes (Identification) Act, 1994 and SC & TW Department Order No.261-TW/EC/MR-103/94 dtd 06.04.1995.]
i) In the district, the Sub-Divisional Officer of the Sub-Division concerned, and
ii) In Kolkata, the District Magistrate, South 24-Parganas or such Additional District Magistrate, South 24-Parganas, as may be authorized by the District Magistrate, South 24- Parganas, in this respect or such competent authority as designated by Backward Classes Welfare Department, Government of West Bengal.Category A or B must be mentioned in the OBC certificate.
For Differently-abled Persons
[vide Persons with Disabilities (Equal opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and West Bengal Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Rules, 1999]
A Medical Board constituted at Government Medical College Hospitals, District Hospitals, Sub-divisional Hospitals and Block Level Hospitals.
APPLICATION FEE AND MODE OF PAYMENT
Fees Rs. 2000/- for General candidates or Rs. 1000/- for SC/ ST/ OBC/ Differently-abled Candidates. The candidates may pay the application fee by credit card/ debit card/internet banking.
The additional processing charges as following will also be debited from the credit card /debit card/bank account of the candidate.
Credit card: 1.20% of the application fee plus the service tax as applicable.
Debit Card: NIL
Internet Banking : Rs. 10/- per transaction plus the service tax as applicable. Fees once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTION
1) Applicants with grade/grade points should write the percentage equivalent according to the formula used by their Boards/Universities. As grade/grade points are typically associated with an interval of marks, the exact midpoint of the relevant interval should be considered for the purpose, wherever applicable. It is the responsibility of the applicants to obtain the necessary certification from their Boards/Universities in support of their claims. They will be required to justify the ‘percentage equivalent’ claimed by them at the time of interview and failure to do so may even lead to the cancellation of their candidature or calculation of the percentage equivalent by the Commission itself by whatever method it considers
reasonable, including the methodology suggested in this regard by the University Grants Commission in its ” Regulations on Minimum Qualification of Appointment of Teachers and Other Academic Staff in Universities and Colleges and Measures for the Maintenance of Standards in Higher Education, 2010”. No complaints in that regard will be entertained at any later stage.
2) Candidates (for the post of Assistant Professor) applying in subjects in which they did not obtain their Masters/Graduation degrees are advised to bring the documents in support of relevance/alliance of the discipline issued by the appropriate bodies of the concerned University.
3) The recommendation procedure will be based on a simple merit-cum-preference system of counseling. For further details regarding the recommendation process, the West Bengal College Service Commission (Manner of Selection and Recommendation of Persons for Appointment to the posts of Assistant Professors, Principals and Librarians and Re-recommendation of Persons for Appointment to the post of Assistant Professor) Regulations, 2012 as amended from time to time may be
consulted from the Commission website.
4) The cut-off dates for all items of qualification and experience, including publication, shall be 15/02/2021. Age of the candidate, however, as mentioned in clause 5, shall be calculated on 1st January, 2020.
5) The competent authority of judging the equivalence of all degrees obtained from foreign Universities is Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Candidates are advised to have their foreign degrees authenticated as equivalent to their Indian counterparts from AIU. The selection committee may not recognize a degree as a valid one in the absence of such an equivalence certificate.
6) For the purpose of judging whether a PhD Degree has been obtained in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of PhD Degree) Regulations, 2009 and University Grants Commission (Minimum qualification for appointment of teaching and other academics staff in Universities and Colleges and measures for the maintenance of standards in higher education) (4th Amendment), Regulations 2016, the awarding University’s reasoned certification to that effect may be called for. The selection committee may not recognize a PhD degree as one obtained in compliance with the said UGC Regulations in the absence of such a certificate.
7) The benefits of reservation of vacancies, and age/marks relaxation for SC, ST and OBC (Non-creamy layer) candidates are admissible only to SC, ST and OBC candidates of West Bengal. Benefits for candidates with disabilities will be available only to candidates with disability of 40% and above only.
8) SC, ST and OBC candidates of West Bengal must furnish along with the print-out of the application, a self-attested photocopy of certificate in support of their claim from a competent authority of West Bengal as laid down in the West Bengal Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes (Identification) Act, 1994 and SC & TW Department Order
No.261-TW/EC/MR-103/94 dtd 06.04.1995. SC, ST and OBC candidates of other
States will be treated as general candidates. Differently-abled Persons must submit along with the print-out of the application, a self-attested photocopy of certificate in support of his/her claim from a competent authority as prescribed in the Persons with Disabilities (Equal opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act,
1995 and W.B. Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Rules, 1999.
9) Particulars and Certificates required (Only self-attested photocopies):
(a) A candidate claiming to be S.C., S.T., O.B.C., or Differently-abled must have a certificate in support of his/her claim from a Competent Authority as specified.
(b) Age-proof certificate
(c) All qualification related certificates
(d) Experience-related certificates from competent authorities. SACTs must submit certificates from the Principal/Teacher-in-Charge/Governing Body President of their respective Colleges authenticating their status and tenure as SACT.
(e) For ‘other’ Nationals declared eligible by the Government of India for
recruitment, a certificate to that effect from the competent authority.
(f) Certificate(s) from University/ Board etc. regarding ‘percentage equivalence’ [where only grades are awarded but no equivalence is stated in the mark sheet(s)] and certificate from University regarding compliance with UGC, 2009 Regulations. Candidates must show the certificates in original during the interview. If at any stage, even after issue of a letter of recommendation, a candidate is found ineligible in terms of the
advertisement, his/her candidature will be cancelled without further reference to him/her.
10) The Provisional Merit Panel will be prepared on the basis of the Academic records, Research and Publications, Teaching experience , Interview and Demonstration, if any.
11) In the event of a tie between two or more candidates in the same merit panel, the tie shall be broken on the basis of age of the candidates, the person with the higher age getting precedence over the person with the lesser age.
12) All applications must be made online. Candidates are advised to create a mail ID of their own so that information can be sent to them from time to time in a paperless mode.
13) Applicants shall pay the fee by credit card/debit card/internet Banking.
14) The printout of the on-line submitted application form, along with self-attested photocopies of all relevant documents are to be submitted on the date of the interview.
15) Special Instruction for applicants for the post of Assistant Professor in Law : Such applicants should write the marks/ percentage equivalent obtained at the L.LM examination in the field marked as PG Level under the Block 1 of ‘Qualifications’. They should enter the L.LB marks/ percentage equivalent in the field marked as UG Level under the same Block 1 of ‘Qualifications’. Graduation/ Post Graduation marks/percentage equivalent in any other discipline or subject may be entered in any field under Block 3 of ‘Qualifications’.
16) Special Instruction for applicants in Music/Dance: Applicants should enter Graduation/Post-Graduation marks/percentage equivalent in such discipline or subject in the field marked as UG Level/PG Level under the
Block-1 of ‘Qualifications’. Graduation/ Post Graduation marks/percentage
equivalent in any other discipline or subject may be entered in any field under Block-3 of ‘Qualifications’, though no extra credit has been earmarked for such additional qualification.
17) Special Instruction for applicants for the post of Assistant Professor in Physical Education : Such applicants should write the marks/ percentage equivalent obtained at the B.P.Ed. examination in the field marked as UG Level under the Block – 1 of ‘Qualifications’. They should enter the M.P.Ed. marks/percentage equivalent in the field marked as PG Level under the same Block-1 of ‘Qualifications’. Graduation/ Post Graduation marks/ percentage equivalent in any other discipline or subject may be entered in any field under Block-3 of ‘Qualifications’, though no extra credit has been earmarked for such additional qualification.
West Bengal College Service Commission Recruitment Assistant Professor in State Aided Degree Colleges of West Bengal
|Online Application for the post of Assistant Professor (Advt. No. 1/2020)||Apply Now||Download|