University of Madras PhD Admissions Programme – July 2022 Session Notification. To inform you that the online portal for Ph.D. programme for July 2022 Session will be opened in the University website www.unom.ac.in for the period from 01.06.2022 to 30.06.2022.
The candidates who desires to get admission for July 2022 session are directed to apply through online and submit the hard copy of the filled in applications along with relevant enclosures to the concerned University Departments / Affiliated Colleges/Research Institutions where they are proposed to undergo their research work along with the prescribed fee of Rs.500/- with 18% GST (i.e. Rs.590/-).
University of Madras PhD Admissions Programme – July 2022 Session Notification
Admission to Ph.D. programme takes place during two sessions in a year. The admission schedule is announced through advertisement in the University website. Candidates are required to fill up the online application within the specified date and submit requisite fee as per instruction given in the University website. Admission portal shall remain open for a specified period as notified by the University (June 1st – 30th and December 1st – 31st)
The Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe of Tamil Nadu candidates alone are exempted from paying the application processing fee and that they should send the copy of the proof at the time of submission of applications.
Further, to inform you that the Departmental Selection Committee should be convened only after the last date of receipt of applications from the candidates for July 2022 session i.e. 30.06.2022 and the Entrance Examination should be conducted during the month of July 2022 only.
A separate portal will be opened on 01-07-2022 in the University website and the Supervisors should submit the required information’s through online by using the candidate’s application number as user-id and DOB of the candidate as password and complete the admission process and sent the list of selected candidate along with enclosures should be sent to the University on or before 31.07.2022 The applications received after the stipulated time i.e. after 31.07.2022 will not be considered for admission.
The Departmental Selection Committee shall conduct the entire process of admission i.e. conduct of Entrance Examination, Preparation of merit list of candidates and verification of certificates. The detail of guidelines/Research Regulation 2021 for the above is available in the University website.
The minutes of the selection process duly signed by the Departmental Selection Committee shall be forwarded by the Head of the Institutions / University Departments to the University for Provisional Registration on perusal of records submitted. The University will provide a check-list for this purpose.
The ultimate responsibility of admission rests only with the Heads of the Departments of the University / Principals of the Colleges / Directors of the Research Institutions concerned.
If it is observed at a later stage that the admission accorded by the University Department / Affiliated College / Research Institution is incorrect, the same will be cancelled by the University at any stage of the Ph.D. Programme.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission to the Ph.D. Programme
Admission to the Ph.D. programme can be made two times in a year, i.e., January and July. The online application will be available during the months of December and June every year for admitting the candidates for the two sessions.
Candidates shall submit the hard copy of their applications on or before the first working day of January and July to the concerned University Department / Affiliated College / Research Institution where they propose to do their Research.
The applicant is advised to get the acceptance of a recognized Supervisor at the time of submitting the application.
However, this does not ensure admission which is based on the merit list prepared taking into account of the performance in the entrance examination and marks obtained in the PG degree.
Admission to the Ph.D. programme shall be completed at the earliest, preferably within 30 days from the last date for application in each session.
Thereafter, the University shall ratify the admission and grant temporary registration for the Ph.D. candidate.
Minimum Educational Qualification
1. Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have passed SSLC (10th or 11th class/grade and PUC or higher secondary (12th grade) before joining Under Graduate (UG) programme (3 or more years) and UG before joining Post Graduate (PG) degree programme. That is, the candidate should have completed PG degree programme after completing UG degree in the format 10+2+UG Degree (3 or more years) or 11+1+ UG Degree (3 or more years).
2. Candidates shall have a PG degree from a UGC recognized University in India or a professional degree declared equivalent to the PG degree by corresponding statutory regulatory bodies or professional councils like AICTE. Candidates should have obtained at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade B in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) in the PG degree. A list of PG degrees that could be considered for admission is detailed in paragraphs
3. A PG degree or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational Institutions. Candidates should have satisfied 55% or its equivalent grade in the PG degree or its equivalent degree. If the transcript of marks and degree certificates are in languages other than English, an authorized translation should be provided by the candidate.
4. Candidates should produce the conversion table issued by the University / Institution to convert grades into percentage of marks. This will be used for processing the application for admission in Ph.D. programme.
5. PG Degrees in the faculties of Arts, Sciences, Fine Arts, Languages, Commerce, Education, Physical Education, Management Science and Law of this University or equivalent thereto.
6. PG Degrees in the faculties of Engineering, Technology and Medicine including the Degree of Doctor of Medicine (M.D. or M.R.C.P), or Master of Surgery (M.S. or F.R.C.S./M.R.C.S.), Indian Medicine, Veterinary Science, M. Pharm. and Agriculture of this University or equivalent thereto are eligible for admission in Life Sciences and Basic/BioMedical Sciences departments.
7. M.B.B.S. Degree with two years of Senior House Surgeon / Special training or equivalent thereof recognized by the Medical Council of India or competent authority are eligible for admission in life and Biomedical Sciences.
8. Bachelor Degree in Veterinary Science, Ayurveda, Siddha, Homeopathy, Unani Medicines, etc., with two years Senior House surgeon / equivalent special training in related disciplines of two years duration are eligible in Life and Bio-medical Sciences.
9. ACA, FCA, AICWAI, ACSI qualifications of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India, and Institute of Company Secretaries of India, with minimum pass marks and four years of Professional experience in reputed firm / organization after successful completion of the above mentioned examinations are eligible for admission in commerce and related disciplines.
10. Candidates from the National Defence Academy (NDA), National Defence College, New Delhi, Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) Wellington with M.Sc. Defence and Strategic Studies / M.Phil. Degree are eligible for Ph.D. (both full-time and part-time) admission and they are exempted from submitting HSC or PUC Certificates.
11. Each BOS-PG shall provide a list of PG degrees issued by the University of Madras in disciplines / subjects eligible for admission in Ph.D. in that discipline / subject and approved by the Syndicate. Candidates with PG degrees from other Universities shall obtain eligibility certificate from the University of Madras. The Admission is ratified only after obtaining eligibility certificate.
Procedure for Admission
3.1 Common Criteria 3.1.1 Admission shall be based on the criteria notified in this set of regulations taking into account the reservation policy of the State Government from time to time.
3.1.2 University Departments / Affiliated Colleges / Research Institutions shall admit Ph.D. students through an Entrance Test conducted at the level of University Departments / Affiliated Colleges / Research Institutions.
3.1.3 Candidates with such fellowships as UGC-JRF, CSIR-JRF, DBT, and DST-INSPIRE, ICMR Research Fellows / Research Associates may be admitted directly without entrance test at any time of the year. Project fellows in MRP / RUSA, etc., may be admitted with entrance exams anytime of the year.
3.1.4 The University / Affiliated Colleges / Research Institutions shall decide and notify well in advance in the Institutional website subject /discipline-wise number of seats available and schedule for tests and interviews for admission, etc.
3.1.5 Candidates applying for inter-disciplinary research study shall, as a rule, apply in the Department of a discipline / subject in which he / she has been awarded the PG Degree. However, in exceptional cases, a candidate may also apply within the school or even across disciplines, provided a substantial inter-disciplinary research proposal is submitted by the candidate and the same is accepted by the supervisor on the basis of the latter’s expertise and by the Departmental Selection Committee which forwards it to the University. A co-supervisor is not mandatory. However, it is based on the recommendation of the Departmental Selection Committee to appoint a co-supervisor.
Selection Procedure for Institutions
3.2.1. Admission shall be made purely on merit basis: 50% of marks shall be from the qualifying examination, i.e. PG Degree and another 50% from entrance examination.
3.2.2. The admission process shall be completed by the Departmental Selection Committee of the University Departments / Affiliated Colleges / Research Institutions adhering to the Ph.D. regulations.
3.2.3. The Departmental Selection Committee shall be constituted by the Head of the Department with all recognized supervisors in the department as members. The Research Supervisor shall be the convener. The Departmental Selection Committee shall have at least three members; if not, a recognized research supervisor from related disciplines in the institution / neighbouring institution shall be included as a member.
3.2.4. The Departmental Selection Committee shall conduct the entire process of admission – conduct of Entrance Examination, preparation of merit list, list of selected candidates and verification of certificates. The minutes of the selection process duly signed by the Departmental Selection Committee shall be forwarded by the Head of the Institution / University Department to the University.
3.2.5. With regard to a candidate proposing to work on the contribution of living author(s) / person(s), a brief research proposal for conducting Ph.D. and a self-declaration duly certified by the Supervisor shall be forwarded along with necessary permission obtained from the concerned author(s) / person(s).
3.2.6. Based on the selection list recommended by the Departmental Selection Committee, the Head of the Institution / University Department shall issue the Ph.D. admission letter. However, the provisional registration shall be issued by the University after ratifying the admission.
3.2.7. The Head of Institution shall assign a Supervisor to each candidate admitted to the Ph.D. programme based on the mutual consent of the Supervisor and candidate.
3.2.8. The Head of the Institution / University Department shall communicate to the University the list of students admitted in the Ph.D. programme along with a list of documents as required by the University. The University will provide a check-list for this purpose.
3.2.9. The University shall ratify admission and provide provisional registration on perusal of records submitted by the Head of the Institution.
3.2.10. The ultimate responsibility of admission rests only with the Heads of the Departments of the University / Principals of the Colleges / Directors of the Research Institutions concerned. If it is observed at a later stage that the admission accorded by the University Department / Affiliated College / Research Institution is incorrect, the same will be cancelled by the University at any stage of the Ph.D. Programme. The Heads of the Departments of the University / Principals of the Affiliated Colleges / Directors of the Research Institutions shall certify that the selections are made on the basis of guidelines issued by the University.
Procedure for Conduct of Entrance Examination
3.3.1. The entrance examination shall be conducted by the respective Department / Affiliated College / Institution and shall carry a maximum of 50 marks as detailed below: (a) Written examination 35 marks and (b) Oral examination 15 marks. The Entrance Examination should test the candidate’s research aptitude and knowledge in the subject and research methodology. The candidate shall secure at least 25 marks out of 50 marks in the entrance test (Written and Oral). A relaxation of 5% of marks (from 50% to 45%) shall be given for the candidates belonging to SC / ST / Differently–abled category in the entrance test examination conducted by the Universities.
3.3.2. The candidate shall take the examination only in the subject for which he / she has applied for admission to the Ph.D. programme. The Head of the Department / Affiliated College / Institution in consultation with the Supervisor(s) of the concerned subject may design the question paper for the entrance test. The question paper has to be set and valued by the respective selection committee of the Department / Affiliated College / Institutions only.
3.3.3. The Departmental Selection Committee shall prepare a list of applicants who appeared for Entrance Examination, along with marks obtained in the Entrance Examination, and prepare the merit list as per paragraph 3.2.1.