Applications are invited for admission to the Ph.D. Programme at the S. N. Pradhan Centre for Neurosciences. Candidates willing to pursue research work leading subsequently to the Ph.D. (Sc.) degree in Neuroscience, University of Calcutta, should apply in plain paper in the format attached herewith (downloadable from University Website) to the Head of the Department and send it to the email IDs: [email protected].
- Last date of submission of application: 04/09/2021
- List of eligible candidates for written examination to be conveyed via email: 05/09/2021
- Date of RET (written part) Examination (MCQ type: 50 questions: duration: 12 noon- 1pm): 06/09/2021
- Date of declaration of results of the written part of RET (to be conveyed via email: ) on: 07/09/2021
- Date of RET interview for successful candidates in the RET written part and also for the candidates who have already cleared eligibility tests like NET/SET/SLET/ GATE and equivalent exams or those having M. Phil., or M.Tech.: 08/09/2021 (12 noon onwards)
- Date of declaration of the names of successful candidates will be notified in due course.
The eligible candidates will have to appear for an online written MCQ examination, the details of which are appended below. Successful candidates will be called for an online interview where apart from answering fundamental questions, they are also expected to discuss their research interest/area based on a Statement of Purpose (SoP). The candidate needs to submit a SoP, within 1000 words during initial application. The final selection for joining the PhD program of this department along with the allocation of supervisor will be made on the basis of this Interview. The candidates seeking admission in the PhD programme must have obtained at least 55% of marks in aggregate in their M.Sc. examination from any UGC recognized university/ at least 50% of marks in M.Phil.
Those candidates who have already passed UGC-CSIR (JRF) NET/SET/SLET/GATE/Teacher Fellowship or equivalent examination or passed M.Phil/ M.Tech or equivalent examination need not appear for the written test. Nevertheless, they are to submit a complete application including the SoP.
Self-attested copies of all testimonials must be submitted by the candidate along with the application for it to be considered complete in all respects. Incomplete applications will not be entertained.
S. N. Pradhan Centre for Neurosciences presently has 2 vacancies for which reservation policies would follow as per the asset by the Higher Education Department, Govt. of West Bengal vide Notification no. 07-Edn (U)/IU-89/13 dated 2nd January, 2014 [according to West Bengal State Higher Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2013].
The syllabus for RET written examination will be fundamentally based on the current M.Sc. in Neuroscience syllabus of the University of Calcutta (downloadable from the Calcutta University website). However, the research aptitudes and basics of
computer applications would also be tested.
Mode of examination
- All the candidates appearing for RET will be given a link through their email to join the Google Classroom created by the Department. Candidates will need a Gmail id for this purpose and they should join the Google Classroom with their full name.
- On 06/09/2021, all candidates should be online 30 minutes before the scheduled time of the RET written examination by joining the Google Classroom.
- A Google Meet link will be provided in Google Classroom, through which all the candidates will join Google Meet, keeping their video and audio on. The video as well as the audio of all the candidates should remain on during the entire examination process. If we find video and/or audio of any Candidate is off, his/her candidature will be cancelled. No outside intervention would be permitted.
- The RET written question paper will be an MCQ paper of 100 marks. There will be 50 questions, each carrying +2 for correct answer and -1 for incorrect answer; no marks will be provided if not attempted. The duration of this exam would be 1 hour. The link of the paper will be created through Google Form and the link will be given in Google Classroom two minutes before the scheduled time of written examination.
- Candidates will fill up their particulars like name, address, and admission test number before answering the MCQ questions and submit the answer sheet within the stipulated time of the examination.
- The Google Form will be downloaded by the faculties of the department and marks will be given for RET written paper.
- The qualified candidates will be intimated on 07/09/2021. The interview will be conducted in Google Meet on 08/09/2021. The time of interview of each candidate will be informed through email.