South Asian University PhD Admission Notification3 min read
South Asian University PhD Admission Notification. Admission to PhD programmes is made through two channels viz. through direct mode and through entrance test.
South Asian University is an international university established by the governments of the eight member states of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC) viz., Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
The University has now moved to its own beautiful 100 acres campus at Maidan Garhi. The University, established with the aim of evolving a South Asian consciousness, offers Master’s and PhD level programmes in the following disciplines:
- Computer Science
- International Relations
- Legal Studies
Number of Seats : South Asian University PhD Admission
|PhD Programme||Through Direct Mode||Through Entrance Test|
Read More: University of Georgia Admission PhD Positions
SAU attracts students from all member states and its degrees are recognized by all the eight SAARC countries. The university does not restrict admissions to students from outside SAARC countries.
A student can register for as many programmes as s/he desires subject to fulfilling the eligibility criteria and as long as the Entrance Test timings do not clash. For each programme, a separate application has to be filled.
From the year 2023, a certain category of PhD candidates will be called directly for interviews. They are exempted from the Entrance Test. For details, see “PhD Programmes“.
However, such candidates, if they desire, can take the Entrance Test also in addition to applying through Direct Mode. Separate applications need to be filled for each mode of admission.
Last date for applying is 31 March 2023 (23:59 IST).
The Entrance Test will be held on 29 & 30 April 2023.
Candidates should know before joining Ph.D. programme
- The tenure of the PhD programme is five years.
- The pre-PhD course work is compulsory for all students and is spread over the first two semesters and carries 16 credits as follows: course work (14 credits) plus seminar and term paper (2 credits). Distribution of credits between the first two semesters is decided by individual Departments / Faculties. Some Faculties and Departments may have a slightly higher credit requirement depending on their specific needs. Candidates are advised to carefully read Faculty and Department-specific requirements online. In addition, students will be required to qualify a non-credit course on “Introduction to South Asia” offered by the university if they have not already done so.
- At the end of the first year, students with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) less than 5.0 will be deemed to have failed and shall leave the university. There is no provision for a repeat test for improvement of grades in any pre-PhD course.
- Candidates with a CGPA above 5.0 but less than 6.5 can opt for the MPhil programme and complete their dissertation within one year (8 Credits). M.Phil. students securing an overall FGPA of 6.50 and above (including the grade obtained in M.Phil. dissertation), will get another opportunity to enrol for the Ph.D. programme as per the SAU rules. Students with CGPA of less than 6.5 will leave the university with an MPhil degree.
- Students with a CGPA of 6.5 and above will be considered for direct admission to the PhD programme as per SAU regulations. Such candidates, if they so wish, will also be permitted to pursue the M.Phil. Degree.
- Minimum residency requirement for PhD is two years after admission.
- Students pursuing a PhD degree at SAU are full-time students and are not permitted to take up any full or part-time work during the residency period.
Travel Subsidy for candidates invited for interview
Candidates invited for the interview will be given a travel subsidy (upper limit INR 5,000) towards actual travel cost by the shortest route as per instructions which will be communicated to those called for interview. If candidates from outside India are unable to travel to New Delhi for the interview, they can seek permission for an interview through Skype.