Presidency University: Presidency University, Kolkata, Presidency University, Kolkata: Admission, Courses, Fees.
presidency university bangalore. presidency university bangalore fees, presidency university login, presidency university address, presidency university kolkata, presidency university ranking, presidency university fees, presidency university recruitment.
he history of Presidency College, now known as Presidency University, is a significant part of the educational heritage of India. Here is a brief overview of its historical journey:
Early Years and Transformation: Presidency University
- The institution that would later become Presidency College, known as the ‘Hindoo College,’ was founded in 1817.
- It was the earliest institution of higher learning in the modern sense in Asia.
- Initially, the Hindoo College provided education primarily to the Hindu community.
- It was renowned for its determined effort to impart secular education from the outset.
Transition to Presidency College: Presidency University
- In 1855, the Hindoo College was transformed into the ‘Presidency College of Bengal.’
- With this transformation, it became a government institution.
- Presidency College became non-denominational and admitted students from all communities.
- However, it was not until 1944 that girls were allowed to join, making it a co-educational institution.
Educational Philosophy: Presidency University
- Presidency College was known for its support of liberal, scientific, and secular education.
- It aligned with the ‘Anglicists’ in the Anglicist-Orientalist debate, advocating for modern Western education in the English medium while also valuing Indian themes and subjects.
- The college offered a wide range of subjects, including English, Bengali, Sanskrit, History, Geography, Chronology, Astronomy, Mathematics, and Chemistry.
- It played a pivotal role in the development of humanistic and scientific education in India.
Contributions and Alumni: Presidency University
- Several distinguished individuals emerged from Presidency College.
- Jagadish Chandra Bose and Prafulla Chandra Ray made pioneering discoveries in Physics and Chemistry, respectively.
- Alumni like Bankim Chandra Chatterjee and Anandaram Barooah enriched Bengali and Assamese literature.
- Eminent scientists like S.N. Bose, M.N. Saha, and P.C. Mahalanobis made significant contributions.
- Notable economists like Amartya Sen and Sukhamoy Chakraborty also hailed from the college.
- The alumni included leaders like Dr. Rajendra Prasad (President of India), Muhammad Ali of Bogra (Prime Minister of Pakistan), and Abu Sayeed Chowdhury (President of Bangladesh).
- In recognition of its rich academic heritage, Presidency College was granted university status by the Legislature of West Bengal in 2010.
- This transformation aimed to enhance its role as a center of teaching and research in various fields, particularly in Humanities, Social Sciences, and Basic Sciences.
- Life Sciences
- Performing Arts
- Political Science
- Institute of health Sciences
- School of Astrophysics
Today, Presidency University continues to uphold its esteemed tradition of academic excellence and contributes to the advancement of knowledge in the service of society and the nation.