Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee PhD Admission for Autumn Semester 2022-23
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is one of the foremost institutes of national importance in higher technological and engineering education and basic and applied research. Since its establishment, the Institute has played a vital role in providing the technical manpower and know-how to the country and also in pursuit of cutting-edge research in Science, Technology, and subsequently in Architecture, Management and Humanities & Social Sciences.
The Institute ranks amongst the best technological institutions in the world and has contributed to all sectors of technological development. It has also been considered a trend-setter in the area of education and research in the fields mentioned above.
The Institute has completed more than 173 years of its glorious existence. It was converted into an IIT on September 21, 2001 by an Ordinance issued by the Government of India, which declared it as the nation’s seventh Indian Institute of Technology, an “Institution of National Importance”.
The Institute offers Bachelor’s Degree courses in 12 disciplines of Engineering and Architecture and 6 integrated Masters programmes in different disciplines of engineering and science apart from 55 Postgraduate courses in various disciplines of Engineering, Applied Science, Architecture and Planning, Management, Humanities & Social Sciences, Design and Innovation. The Institute offers doctoral degree in all Departments/Centres/School and Research Centres.
COMMON MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR Ph.D. ADMISSION:
An applicant belonging to the above category should possess the following minimum qualifications in appropriate areas to be eligible to apply for admission for the Ph.D. programme of the Institute.
1. Master’s degree with minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.0 on a 10 point scale, or 60% marks for the General, GEN-EWS and OBC category.
For SC / ST or PWD candidates, the minimum CGPA requirements may be relaxed to 5.50 on a 10 point scale or to 55% marks. Post Graduate Degree in Basic Science Or Graduate/Post Graduate Degree in Professional Course selected through a process described through any one of the following:
a. Scholars who are selected through National Eligibility Tests-UGC NET including lectureship (Assistant Professorship) and GATE.
b. The selection process through National Level Examinations conducted by MHRD and its Agencies and Institutes such as UGC/IIT/IISc/IISER etc.
2. For candidates other than Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs), B. Tech / B. Arch / B. Pharm degree or equivalent with a GATE / GPAT/NET score (marks) and a minimum CGPA of 7.50 on a 10 point scale or 75% marks, irrespective of the category. For graduates from CFTIs, the minimum CGPA requirement is relaxed to 7.0 on a 10 point scale or 70% marks.
3. CGPA or percentage of marks in aggregate, in case marks are awarded, of all years / semesters will be considered. If the CGPA is awarded on a scale other than a 10 point scale, proportionate concession to a 10 point scale will be considered.
4. The requirement of GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET score (marks) is not applicable to candidates in ISERS or P-ISIRS or P-ISERS category.
5. Bachelors or Masters from IITs with a CGPA 8.0 and above on 10 scale point scale are exempted from the requirement of GATE / GPAT / JRF /NET.
6. Candidates pursuing Master’s programs in Engineering or Architecture / Planning in IIT Roorkee with CGPA 8.50 or above, shall have a choice of lateral entry to the Ph.D. program after completing first two semesters of the Master’s program.
7. Candidates with MBBS / BDS degree from an Indian Universities / Institution shall have minimum CGPA of 6.0 on a 10 point scale, or 60% in the qualifying degree, irrespective of the category. They are exempt from the GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET requirement.
8. Candidates with Master of Surgery (MS)/ Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree from a Indian University / Institute are exempt from the minimum CGPA as well as the GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET requirement.
9. Candidates with a medicine degree from an overseas university / institute should have qualified the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination conducted by the National Board of Examination.
10. Candidates with Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) / Person of Indian Origin (PIO) status will be treated at par with Indian Nationals in the General Category.
11. Candidates are advised to ensure that they fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria as mentioned in the Section 4.6 on the LAST date of application.
12. A candidate appearing in any part of the qualifying examination including supplementary examination/viva voce etc. after the date of academic registration shall not be considered to have qualified for admission in the Autumn Semester 2022-23.
(1) Candidates under OBC-NC and Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) category must submit a copy of valid certificate, issued after 31st March, 2022, as per GOI issued by a competent authority. Reservation shall be applicable as per the GOI Norms.
(2) For details regarding EWS please go through the link: https://dopt.gov.in/sites/default/files/ewsf28fT.PDF
Master’s degree with minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.0 on a 10point scale, or 60% marks for the General, GEN-EWS and OBC category.
For SC / ST or PWD candidates, the minimum CGPA requirements may be relaxed to 5.50 on a 10-point scale or to 55% marks.
The requirement of GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET score (marks) shall not be applicable to the candidates.
Minimum two years in the parent organization at the time of academic registration. Maximum of two candidates under this scheme from one institute in an academic year will be eligible.
Such candidates should be recommended by the parent organization through proper channel; No Objection Certificate (NOC) needs to be produced at the time of application.
In case of a greater number of eligible applications from one institute, offer will be given to the candidates having higher experience in the parent organization.
1. Application Fee per department (non-refundable): Rs. 200/- for General/Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)/OBC category and Rs. 100/- for SC/ST/PD category candidate. The candidates can deposit the requisite application fee by using net banking or debit/credit card facilities only. Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the concerned bank. The Fee will not be accepted through any other mode.