Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur Admission to PhD Programme 2022-2317 min read
Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur invites online applications from eligible candidates for admission to various Ph. D. programmes for the Academic Session 2022-23. Any eligible candidate may take admission through Vishwavidyalaya Research Entrance Test (VRET). Eligible NET JRF/GATE etc. qualified candidates/ working professionals/staff/international students may apply under VRET Exempted category for direct interview.
Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur Admission to PhD Programme 2022-23
Details of subjects available for admission, admission procedure, eligibility criteria, number of seats, reservation policy, fees, scholarship, entrance test date & time, etc. are available on university website www.ggu.ac.in
1. Starting date of submission of Online Application Form : 21.02.2023
2. Closing date of submission of Online Application forms : 23.03.2023
3. Date of Online Proctored Entrance Test : 08.04.2023 (11.00AM)
4. Declaration of Results : 18.04.2023
Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur
Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya invites online applications for admission to programmes leading to Doctor of Philosophy Degree (herein after referred to as the Ph. D. Degree) in various disciplines as given in Section – A, Table-1.
Admissions shall be done as per University Ph.D. Regulations 2023 and as decided by the Academic Council of the University from time to time in accordance with the UGC minimum qualification for Ph.D. Regulations.
The admission to the said programme shall be made (a) through the Online Vishwavidyalaya Research Entrance Test (VRET) to be conducted on 08.04.2023 and (b) directly under the VRET exempted category.
“A candidate shall be permitted to pursue research for the Ph.D. degree in the subject in which he/she appears for test/interview and he/she will be allowed to register him/her-self as Ph. D. students in the same subject/discipline. PG Subjects/discipline shall not be a bar for appearing in test/interview.
However, a candidate appearing in a subject other than his PG subject has to submit a proposal with justification for such change to DRC and to take approval of DRC. Such candidates willing to pursue research in allied/ Inter-disciplinary/trans-disciplinary/multi-disciplinary areas may co-opt a co-supervisor as prescribed in GGV Ph. D. Regulations 2023”.
Admissions of International Students and Working Professionals are allowed through this admission Notice. Such candidates may apply under VRET Exempted Category. Interested candidates may refer Schedule- I and Schedule- II of GGV Ph. D. Regulations 2023 for more details and attendance provisions.
A. DISCIPLINES AVAILABLE UNDER VARIOUS SCHOOLS OF STUDIES FOR ADMISSION TO Ph.D. PROGRAMME (Session 2022-23)
Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur Admission to PhD Programme 2022-23
Following disciplines are available in the various Schools of Studies of the Vishwavidyalaya in which Ph.D. degree shall be awarded:
Table -1.A – Disciplines in which Online VRET shall be conducted by the University for session 2022-23:
|Name of Department/Subject||UR||SC||ST||OBC||EWS||Total seats||Seats for PWD|
|Journalism and Mass Communication||02||00||00||01||00||03||00|
|Library and Information Science||01||00||00||00||00||01||00|
|Name of Department/Subject||UR||SC||ST||OBC||EWS||Total seats||Seats for PWD|
|Electronics and Communication Engg.||02||02||01||04||01||10||00|
|Computer Science Engineering||06||01||01||02||00||10||00|
|Industrial & Production Engineering||06||01||0||03||01||11||0|
|Anthropology & Tribal Development||01||00||00||00||00||01||00|
|Forestry, Wild Life & Environmental Science||02||02||00||00||01||05||00|
|Pure & Applied Physics||10||04||02||06||03||25||02|
|10||Interdisciplinary Education and Research||Biotechnology||02||00||0||0||0||02|
|Rural Technology & Social Development||03||01||00||03||01||08||00|
Table -1.A – Disciplines in which VRET-Exempted seats are available for which test shall not be conducted by the University for session 2022-23:
|Name of Department/Subject||UR||SC||ST||OBC||EWS||Total seats||Seats for|
|Journalism and Mass Communication||01||01||00||01||00||03||00|
|Library and Information Science||02||00||00||01||00||03|
|Name of Department/Subject||UR||SC||ST||OBC||EWS||Total seats||Seats for|
|Electronics and Communication Engg.||07||02||01||04||01||15||00|
|Computer Science Engineering||07||01||01||03||00||12||00|
|Industrial and Production Engineering||04||01||00||02||01||08||00|
|3||Life Science||Anthropology & Tribal Development||01||01||01||01||01||00|
|4||Mgmt. & Commerce||Commerce||10||01||01||03||02||00|
|5||Mathematical & Computational Science||Computer Science &Information Technology (CSIT)||05||01||00||02||01||00|
|6||Natural Resources||Forestry, Wild Life & Environmental Science||06||02||01||04||01||00|
|Pure & Applied||18||06||03||11||04||42||02|
|8||Social Science||Political Science||03||01||00||02||01||07||00|
|10||Interdisciplinary Education and Research||Biotechnology||04||00||0||0||01||05||00|
|Rural Technology & Social Development||07||01||01||03||01||13||01|
Note:- Admission to PhD program shall be subjected to the availability of seats and supervisor. The University reserves the right to fill or not to fill any seat and also to alter the nature and number of seats if the circumstances so warrant. (List of Supervisors, their specialization are attached herewith as Annexure-1)
B. ADMISSION ELIGIBLITY : Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya Admission to PhD Programme 2022-23
- For VRET Category-
The following are eligible to seek admission to the Ph.D. programme:
- Candidates who have completed: (i) A 1-year/2-semester master’s degree programme after a 4-year/8-semester bachelor’s degree programme or a 2-year/4-semester master’s degree programme after a 3-year bachelor’s degree programme or qualifications declared equivalent to the master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed
or equivalent qualification from a foreign educational institution accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country to assess, accredit or assure quality and standards of the educational institution.
A relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time.
Provided that a candidate seeking admission after a 4-year/8-semester bachelor’s degree programme should have a minimum of 75% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade on a point scale wherever the grading system is followed. A relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non- creamy layer)/Differently-Abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time.
- Candidates who have completed the M.Phil. programme with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed or equivalent qualification from a foreign educational institution accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country to assess, accredit or assure quality and standards of educational institutions, shall be eligible for admission to the Ph.D. programme. A relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time.
- For VRET Exempted (in addition to B (i))-
- Permanent/Regular teachers having appointment on substantive posts in the Teaching departments of the Universities or colleges who have completed their probation successfully with an experience of at least two years of uninterrupted service would be considered under this category.
- International students having eligibility as mentioned above or sponsored by the concerned embassy and having appropriate fellowship will be exempted from test, subject to the general rules framed by the Government of India from time to time and as applicable to the University with regard to the admission etc.
- Applicants who have qualified for fellowship/scholarship in UGC-NET/UGC- CSIR NET/GATE/CEED and similar National level tests or any such applicants who belongs to this category as per UGC notifications from time to time.
- Working professionals/non-teaching staff fulfill eligibility criteria as mentioned above and who have got No- Objection Certificate from the appropriate authority in the organization where the candidate is employed.
1. Applicants must satisfy himself/herself about fulfilling the minimum eligibility requirements as prescribed above before filling the online Application Form.
- Admission of International students in Ph.D. programme–
- Each supervisor can guide up to two international research scholars on a supernumerary basis over and above the permitted number of Ph.D. scholars as specified above.
- Selection procedure for Ph.D. admission of international students keeping in view the guidelines/norms in this regard issued by statutory/regulatory bodies concerned from time to time are as prescribed in Schedule 1 of Ph. D. Regulations.
3. Ph.D. through Part-time Mode for Working Professionals –
- Ph.D. programmes through part-time mode will be permitted, provided all the conditions stipulated in Ph. D. Regulations are fulfilled.
- The Department concerned shall obtain a “No Objection Certificate” in the Prescribed Format (Annexure-2) through the candidate for a part-time Ph.D. programme from the appropriate authority in the organization where the candidate is employed, clearly stating that:
- The candidate is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis.
- His/her official duties permit him/her to devote sufficient time for research.
- If required, he/she will be relieved from the duty to complete the course work.
C. PROCEDURE FOR ADMISSION : Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya Admission PhD 2022-23
- There would be two streams of applicants, namely
- Applying against available seats in a subject which shall be filled by Online Vishwavidyalaya Research Entrance Test (VRET)
University will admit applicants by a two stage process i.e. Online Entrance test followed by an interview:
University will admit applicants by a two-stage process mentioned below or as notified by the University from time to time: The qualifying marks for the Entrance Test shall be 50%. The syllabus of the Entrance Online Proctored Entrance Test shall consist of 50% of research methodology and 50% shall be subject specific. The VRET would be of 120 minutes duration. There would be a single question paper of 100 marks having 100 multiple choice questions for assessing the subject proficiency and research aptitude of the candidate. The admission shall be based on the marks obtained above qualifying marks in VRET and in order of merit.
A relaxation of 5 % marks will be allowed in the entrance examination for the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/differently-abled category, Economically Weaker Section (EWS), and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time.
GGV may decide the number of eligible students to be called for an interview based on the number of Ph.D. seats available.
Provided that for the selection of candidates based on the entrance test conducted by the GGV, a weightage of 70 % for the entrance test and 30 % for the performance in the interview/viva- voce shall be given.
The eligibility or qualifying marks will not be a guarantee for admission.
Entrance Tests Syllabus of different subjects is attached herewith as Annexure-3.
Distribution of marks will be as follows-
- Marks obtained in Online VRET – weightage 70% of the marks obtained (Maximum 70)
- Personal Interview/Viva-voce/Presentation- 30
- Applying against available seats in a subject which shall be filled by candidates not appeared in VRET i.e. called VRET-Exempted category
Calculation formula for merit list preparation for VRET Exempted candidates
- Personal Interview/Viva-voce- 20
- Research proposal presentation- 30
- Score of UGC-NET/UGC-CSIR NET /GATE etc. – Weightage 50% of the normalized score (Maximum 50 marks)
- For other candidates 50% marks will be given as follows based on academic background –
For 10th (HSC)- 5 (5 For more than 75%, 3 for 75%to 60%, 2 for less than 60%)
For 12th (HSSC)—5 (5 For more than 75%, 3 for 75%to 60%, 2 for less than 60%)
For Under Graduate- 20(20 For more than 75%, 10 for 75%to 60%, 5 for less than 60%)
For Post Graduate- 20(20 For more than 75%, 15 for 75%to 60%, 10 for less than 60%)
Above calculation may also be used for all type of applicants, if marks in other defined categories are not available for preparation of merit list.
(II) Final Merit list of the applicants belonging to both the categories i.e. VRET and VRET (Exempted) will be prepared separately for each subject. The overall marks for preparing such merit will be 100.
- The short listing of applications for Online VRET and VRET Exempted applicants for the concerned subjects for the purpose of admission test/interview will be done separately by the Admission Committee constituted for the purpose of concerned department/ Research Centre.
- The committee of the concerned department then shortlist the applications as per the short-listing criteria as described in Regulations and Admission Brochure for preparing merit list. University may notify, if considered necessary, modification in the short-listing criteria higher than those defined above.
- The DRC would prepare category wise VRET and VRET exempted merit lists. The final selection list will be
displayed on the University’s website as well as on the departmental Notice Board.
D. Details of Course Work
All provisionally admitted students shall undertake a course work for a minimum period of one semester (Six Months) or as prescribed by the UGC from time to time.
A temporary mentor would be allotted to the students by the DRC to be approved by Dean before the start of the course work. As far as possible, the mentor would be the supervisor to whom student would be allotted after the successful completion of the course work. The responsibility of the Mentor will be to monitor the progress of the students, guide the student for preparing seminars/assignments/presentations, if any and also motivate for literature search and library skills.
The course work shall be treated as Pre-Ph.D. preparation. It would include three papers of 12 Credits. The first paper will be compulsory course on research methodology and may include quantitative methods and computer applications; reviewing of published research in the relevant field and other techniques/ methods, including a “Research and Publication Ethics” course. The Board of Studies can also recommend UGC recognized online courses as part of the credit requirements for the Ph.D. programme.
- The second and third paper would be as proposed by the respective departments as per available specialization. All such syllabi shall be as approved by the concerned Board of Studies and notified by the University from time to time.
- The examination scheme for Ph.D. course work shall be common for all subjects and as notified by the University from time to time.
- All courses prescribed for Ph.D. course work shall be in conformity with the credit hour instructional requirement and shall specify content, instructional and assessment methods. They shall be duly approved by the Academic Council.
- All applicants admitted to the Ph.D. program shall be required to complete the Pre-Ph.D. course work successfully prescribed by the Department during the initial 1 or 2 Semesters. If the student is unable to qualify Pre-Ph.D. Course Work successfully after second attempt, his/her admission will be cancelled automatically.
- Ph.D. scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the program leading to the completion of Ph.D. thesis. A Mark-sheet/ Grade-Card would be issued by the University in this regard.
- The Head of Department would be responsible for preparing the time-table and course content for the course work, teaching and assessment schedule (examination), continuous evaluation, internal assessment, if any. And shall conduct the same under the overall supervision of the concerned Dean of School.
- If a student fails to qualify the course work examination in first attempt, he/ she will be given only one additional attempt to clear the course work examination to qualify after paying due fees. However, in all such cases where the student fails to pass the Coursework examination in first attempt, he/ she would not be given the benefit of the duration of repeating the course work for the minimum residency period in continuity. In all such cases, the residency period of only one semester (6 months) shall be reckoned for successful completion of the course-work.
- Successful completion of Course Work would be binding on all the Ph.D. students including teacher /VRET- Exempted Category applicants.
All Ph.D. scholars except International Students and Working Professionals, irrespective of discipline, shall be required to train in teaching /education /pedagogy/writing related to their chosen Ph.D. subject during their doctoral period. Ph.D. scholars may also be assigned 4-6 hours per week of teaching/research assistantship for conducting tutorial or laboratory work and evaluations.
Reservation for SC/ST/OBC/EWS and PWD applicants will be provided as per Government of India rules.
Each SC/ST/OBC/EWS applicant shall have to submit a copy of the certificate mentioning that the applicant belongs to SC/ST/OBC/EWS community. Such certificates shall be subject to verification from the concerned District Magistrate. The following are empowered to issue the certificate:
- District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/Collector/Deputy Commissioner/ Addl. Deputy Commissioner/Deputy Collector/1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/City Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/Taluka Magistrate/Executive Magistrate/Extra Assistant Commissioner.
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/Addl. Chief Presidency Magistrate/Presidency Magistrate.
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar.
- Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the applicant and/or his family normally resides.
- Administrator/Secretary to the Administrator/ Development Officer (Lakshadweep Islands).
Applicants must note that the certificate from any other person/authority shall not be accepted in any case.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya PhD Admission 2022-23
- An applicant who satisfies the requirements mentioned in Section B should apply online for VRET/VRET (Exempted). The application shall be submitted online only.
- Application Forms of applicants who have submitted forged/fake information or adopted fraudulent means shall be REJECTED without any intimation to the applicants. Further, such applicants shall be debarred from appearing in any subsequent Entrance Tests conducted by GGV.
- Applicants are allowed to appear at the O n l i n e VRET provisionally subject to the final verification of Mark sheets/Degrees/certificates, validity of certificates/Mark sheets of Qualifying Examination and also of involvement in the adoption of unfair means in any of the University Examination/Entrance Tests held earlier, at the time of admission. Degrees/certificates recognized by Association of Indian Universities (AIU) shall only be deemed as equivalent degrees/certificates.
The Distance Education Council of India/Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)/Association of Indian Universities (AIU) are the only authority to recognize the Degrees/certificates of Distance Education. Such Applicants are provisionally permitted to appear in the VRET and will be required to submit certificates from Distance Education Council of IGNOU, New Delhi regarding recognition/approval of the courses.
- Mere appearance in the Online Entrance Test or securing a place in merit at the Test does not entitle an applicant to be considered for admission to a discipline unless he/she fulfils the eligibility conditions. APPLICANTS MUST FULLY SATISFY THEMSELVES ABOUT THEIR ELIGIBILITY AS PRESCRIBED ABOVE, BEFORE FILLING THE APPLICATION FORM.
If an applicant is inadvertently allowed to appear at the Online Entrance Test who otherwise does not fulfill the minimum eligibility requirements, he/she cannot, at a later date, use that as a right to claim that he/she meets the eligibility requirements.
The University reserves the right to cancel/refuse admission at any point of time if it is found that:
- Minimum eligibility requirements are not fulfilled.
- False documentation has been done.
- Any other similar valid reason.
- Applicants appearing at the Online VRET shall be subject to Rules, Regulations and Ordinances relating to the University examinations. Applicants found adopting unfair means shall be liable to punishment as per University rules.
- (a) In case of any dispute relating to the VRET/admission to Ph.D., the decision of the University shall be final. An appeal may lie to the Vice-Chancellor, GGV against such decision. In no case any applicant shall take recourse to the court of law directly.
(b) In case of any litigation relating to the VRET/admission to Ph.D. course, the District Court of Bilaspur and the High Court of Judicature of Bilaspur shall only have the jurisdiction.
- No TA/DA will be paid to applicants for appearing in Online Entrance Test/Interview.
G. APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE:
Applicant desirous of appearing in Online VRET or VRET (Exempted Category) shall pay the Fee of Rs.1500/- in case of General/OBC/EWS and Rs.750/– in case of SC/ST/PWD Category and shall be paid through online mode only.
H. IMPORTANT DATES:
1. Start of Online Application Process : 21.02.2023
2. Last date of submission of online application : 23.03.2023
3. Mock Test : 06.04.2023, 11.00AM
4. Online Vishwavidyalaya Research Entrance Test (VRET) for Ph.D. Programme : 08.04.2023 11.00AM
5. Declaration of Results of VRET : 18.04.2023, 05.00PM
6. Interviews/Presentation (Tentative) : 25.04.2023 to 30.04.2023
I. SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION FORM:
Applicant for VRET/VRET-Exempted category shall submit their application through online mode only. Entrance Test, Counseling and Admission of candidates will be done online initially. But the candidates have to submit the documents at later stage in hard copy. Complete guidelines for submission of application form are available on our website separately.
J. DOWNLOADING OF ADMIT CARD: (For applicants appearing in Online VRET only)
University will not provide any hard copy of admit card for Online Entrance Test. Candidates can download their admit cards through university website by using their user id and password.
K. TEST CENTRE: NO specific examination centre will be provided by the University.
Candidates will appear in entrance test through their own Desktop Computer/Laptop/Mobile or from a place of their choice. There will be no prescribed test centre. Candidates would be able to take the test from a place of their choice.
They must however ensure that the place in which the test is being taken must have proper lighting and no one else should enter the same during the entire duration of the test.
Candidates have to read all the instructions for Proctored Examination very carefully.
For the benefit of the students Demo / Mock test sessions would be scheduled. It is both advisable & mandatory for Candidates to attend a minimum of ONE mock test session to make themselves familiar with the process beforehand. The schedule of the same and complete guidelines for Online Proctored Entrance Test would be shortly made available on www.ggu.ac.in.
L. METHOD OF ANSWERING THE TEST:
Guidelines and method of answering will be available separately. Candidates have to comply the instructions and attend a minimum of ONE mock test session to make themselves familiar with the process beforehand.
M. IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS APPEARING IN VRET:
- Important instructions are available separately. The Entrance Examination of a candidate shall be cancelled if the candidate is found to be indulge in unfair practices/suspicious acts in any form or will found to be in violation of any of the rules/guidelines issued in this regard.
- A person found to impersonate a candidate may be handed over to the Police under an FIR lodged by the Vishwavidyalaya. The candidate in reference shall be debarred from future Entrance Tests of the Vishwavidyalaya.
- No scrutiny/re-evaluation of online responses of Online VET is allowed in any case at any stage.
- The candidate shall be bound by the Vishwavidyalaya Statutes/Ordinances/Rules and Regulations framed from time to time.
- Any litigation in respect of the Online Proctored VET shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the local Court of Bilaspur (C.G.) and/or Hon’ble High Court of Judicature at Bilaspur (C.G.) Only.
- For any interpretational difficulties the interpretation through English language shall be deemed as correct.
g. Medium of question papers for Online Vishwavidyalaya Research Entrance Test (VRET) will be as follows-
|English, Electronics & Communication Engg., Civil Engg., Chemical Engg., Industrial & Production Engg., Mechanical Engg., IT, CSE, Anthropology, Botany, Zoology, Commerce, Management Studies, CSIT, Mathematics, Forestry, Pharmacy, Chemistry, Physics, Electronics, Biotechnology, Rural Technology, Law, Forensic Sceince, including all science and engineering subjects||English Only|
|Education, Physical Education, Economics, Social Work, Political Science, History, Library Science, JMC||Bilingual (Hindi and English both)|
- Any litigation in respect of the Test shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the local Court of Bilaspur and/or
Hon’ble High Court of Judicature at Bilaspur only.
All the eligible full-time research scholars of university teaching departments admitted through Online VRET and not getting any financial assistance from any funding agency will be entitled for fellowship of Rs.8000.00 per month and contingency of Rs.10000.00 per year for science/engineering students and Rs.8000.00 per year for Humanities and Social Science Students as per UGC Norms/ University Ph. D. Ordinance/regulation).
“The fellowship privilege for the scholars involved in acts of indiscipline (on record) may not be extended.” However, fellowship will be subject to approval/sanction of University Grants Commission. Candidates cannot claim the fellowship as their right at any stage.
Results of Online VRET shall be declared on www.ggu.ac.in. No queries regarding result shall be entertained. Applicants are also advised to contact the concerned department after declaration of result.
P. IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Vishwavidyalaya has all the rights reserved to alter, add, modify or relax any of the conditions/or rules in the interest of the Vishwavidyalaya, as per the latest guidelines issued from time to time by the MHRD, GOI and /or Vishwavidyalaya.
- In case of any dispute/ambiguity/clarification regarding admission in any subject/ department, the decision of the Vishwavidyalaya shall be final and binding on applicants.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in the relevant Ordinances, the eligibility requirements for the purpose of admission shall be only those which are mentioned in the Information Bulletin of the academic session concerned.
- All Ph. D. Scholars shall be governed by the Ph. D. Ordinance/Regulations of Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya and as amended from time to time.
- Annexure 1- List of research supervisors.
- Annexure 2- Format of NOC
- Annexure-3 – Syllabus of Entrance Test
- Annexure 4- Fee Structure
- Annexure 5 – Ph. D. Regulations 2023 and its Schedule 1 and 2.