With a view of enhancing the spread of Science and Technology in the specific regions of the country, the Inter-Academy Panel has initiated the Focus Area Science Technology Summer Fellowship [FAST-SF].
Focus Area Science Technology Summer Fellowship (FAST-SF) – 2021
The fellowship is provided by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi and The National Academy of Sciences, India, Prayagraj.
This coming year (2021) our focus will be on the North Eastern States of the country and the states
- Jammu & Kashmir,
- Jharkhand and
- Madhya Pradesh and
The FAST-SF will be for students and teachers studying/working in the states
- Arunachal Pradesh,
- Jammu & Kashmir,
- Jharkhand and
- Madhya Pradesh.
No. of Fellowships
About 200 fellowships will be offered during 2021 to students/teachers studying/working in these states, to work with scientists associated with three Academies’ anywhere in the country.
Applicants should be studying in one of the following:
- BS / BSc / BVSc (II year only)
- BPharm (III and IV years only)
- BE / BTech / BCA (II and III years only)
- BArch (II, III and IV years only)
- MS / MSc / MVSc / MPharm (I year only)
- ME / MTech / MCA / MArch (I year only)
- (5-year integrated) MS / MSc /MTech / MBBS (II, III, IV years only)
- PharmD (III, IV years only)
- (dual degree) BTech + MTech (II, III, IV years only)
- (dual degree) BE + MSc (II, III, IV years only)
- (dual degree) BS + MS (II, III, IV years only)
- Integrated PhD (I, II years only)
- MSc Tech (I, II years only)
- Teachers working in North-Eastern states, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh only need apply.
- The minimum percentage of average marks in core subjects only (i.e. excluding languages) from X std. up to post-graduation (whichever years completed) should be 65% or above. The minimum percentage of average marks does not apply for teachers.
- PhD students are not eligible.
The applicant should include a write-up (about 150–250 words) as to the specific area of the applicant and indicate what he/she would like to learn and achieve through this fellowship.
It can also include the specific experiment or theory that the applicant wants to work on but NOT a general description of the area.
The write-up should not be a “copy and paste” job from any source.
Do not use special/scient ific characters like Ø Ü etc…as the software will prevent you from uploading the application with such characters.
Enclosures to application
Both student and teacher applicants must upload scanned versions of mark sheets from class X till the last examination in JPEG Format (the size of each marks sheet should not exceed 700 kb).
Teacher applicants should upload their publications, if any. On selection, an authorization letter from the Principal/HoD that necessary permission/leave of absence will be granted should be sent by post to the Coordinator, FAST-SF 2021, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru 560 080.
Student applicants must upload the contact details of one of their present teachers or the Head of the Department (HoD). The Academy will get in touch with the teacher and obtain the recommendation letter.
All decisions regarding the selection of candidates will be at the sole discretion of the Academiesâ€™. Any grievance or dispute concerning FAST-SF 2021 shall be addressed to the Academy whose decision thereon shall be final.
If a candidate is found at any point of time to have submitted false information, his/her fellowship will be cancelled, and he/she will be asked to pay back the fellowship amount/travel allowance etc. that has been paid to him/her.
Further his/her guide and the Institution in which he/she is currently studying will be informed of the matter.
Without prejudice to 15) above, only the courts at Bengaluru city shall be the fora for seeking judicial remedy, if any, for any dispute or grievance.
How to Apply?
- Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
- Student applicants should provide the email id of one of their teachers or HoD familiar with their work. The Academy will approach them for a recommendation letter in the prescribed format. The selected candidate should work with the assigned guide for two months any time during the calendar year though summer months are preferred.
- Information of selection along with concurrence of the guide will be despatched around February–March 2021. The selected students/teachers will be provided appropriate round trip train fare and a monthly fellowship to meet their living expenses at the place of work.
Nov 30, 2020
Academy means Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru. Academiesâ€™ mean Indian Academy of Sciences (Bengaluru); Indian National Science Academy (New Delhi); and The National Academy of Sciences, India (Prayagraj).
Guide means a person from the list of scientists/faculty approved by the Academiesâ€™ as guides.
All correspondence should be addressed to:
For more details, click the link below.