Diamond Harbour Women’s University came into existence in 2013; the first Women’s University in West Bengal and Eastern India established under the West Bengal Act XXXVII of 2012 on 28th January, 2013. Universities meant exclusively for women are extremely essential in the arena of higher education.
They become vital for those female students who come from conservative families and societies, which for bid women in their families to study with students of the opposite sex.
However, most students don’t choose Diamond Harbour Women’s University because it’s a Women’s University but despite it because of the commendable academic standards.
Diamond Harbour Women’s University has been providing a solution to long standing requirements and problems of the female students in their search for self hood not just in this region but also beyond West Bengal.
The mission of this University is to contribute to the economic, social, intellectual and cultural development of the country through the development and empowerment of the female student.
The Diamond Harbour Road connecting south-west Kolkata to Diamond Harbour has emerged as an education hub over the last six decades or so. In close proximity to the university are the Indian Institute of Management, Joka, Calcutta, the Calcutta Business School, the Globsyn Business School, the Neotia University, flourishing undergraduate colleges and well known schools such as the Ramakrishna Mission Siksha Mandir, the Vivekananda Mission School and the K.E. Carmel School.
The University started functioning from the academic year 2014-2015 with the introduction of 2-Year,4Semester Courses in six subjects belonging to the Faculty of Arts. Science subjects were introduced in the academic year 2015-2016. The University currently offers Post Graduate Courses in
- Political Science,
- Women’s Studies, in Arts and Botany,
- Physics, and
- Zoology in Science.
The first batch of students to receive M.A. degrees was in 2016, and the first batch to receive M.Sc. degrees was in 2017. The University held its first Convocation in February2018 and the second in March 2019; each Convocation having been attended by more than 300 students.
M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes have commenced in the Departments of Bengali, Education, English, History, Philosophy and Political Science in the Arts Faculty. Ph.D. Programmes have commenced in the Departments of Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics and Physics in the Science Faculty. Ph.D. Programmes in Sanskrit and Women Studies are scheduled to commence from 2021.
The Higher Education Department, Govt. of West Bengal has kindly given us the permission to open UG courses in 05 subjects viz. Bengali, English, History, Political Science and Education vide G.O. No. 548-Edn(U) dated 0407-2022 with effect from the Academic Session of 2022.
The objective of Diamond Harbour Women’s University is to function efficiently as an institute providing teaching, training and research in various branches of learning and multidisciplinary courses of study so as to promote advancement and dissemination of knowledge that meets the growing needs of the society both locally and globally. As a Women’s University, it addresses in particular, questions of livelihood and security for women. It wishes to provide opportunities not just to women in West Bengal but in the future hopes to draw more women from other parts of the country into this corner of our culturally diverse nation.
In Asia, Africa and the Middle East, the number of Women’s Universities is on the rise and that is playing a vital role in providing liberal education to women students and research scholars.
This Women’s University is also committed to providing women better access to higher education thereby leading to their personal growth, fulfillment, self-sufficiency and empowerment as well as their social development. Members of the teaching faculty have a sharp focus on the female-students’ education and life skills leading to their holistic development.
The PG Girls’ Hostel, inaugurated by the Hon’ble Minister in Charge of Higher Education, Govt. of West Bengal Dr. Partha Chatterjee on 23rd November, 2019, has been established to provide accommodation for Diamond Harbour Women’s University students.
Rooms are allotted to students on twin sharing basis. Each room provides a bed, a mattress, a study table, a chair and a wardrobe for each student. The hostel has a clean and hygienic environment, electricity and water supply, pure drinking water, a spacious dining room, washrooms and toilets, a sick room.
The hostel has tight security measures; with trained security personnel – two male (outside the building) and two female (inside the building) – to ensure the safety of all inmates. Aid is provided during medical emergencies.
B.A. (Hons.) Courses
B.A. (Hons.) in Bengali, English, History, Political Science and Education.
|Courses & Duration||Hons. Subjects||Number of Seats||Eligibility||Mode of Selection||Availability of Form (Online)|
|B.A. Hons.||Bengali||40||Higher Secondary 10+2 Minimum 45% marks in the Subject and aggregate.||Based on Merit||19th July, 2022|
|3 Years||Education||40||to 8th August,|
A relaxation of 5% in total marks will be given for State Level position holders and National Level participants for sports- persons.
N.B. Applicants who have passed Higher Secondary in 2018 or earlier are not eligible for admission in UG courses.
Seats and Reservations
The University is committed to provide reservations determined by competent authorities to create an inclusive community. The statutory reservations for SC, ST, OBC (A), OBC (B) and for EWS categories will be observed as per Govt. rules. Relevant caste and category certificates should be issued by the competent authority of the Government of West Bengal. Any interchange within the reserved categories will be according to relevant Government Orders. De-reservation, if necessary will also be done as per relevant Government Orders.
Fees for UG Courses of Studies for Academic Session 2022-2025
|Type of Fee||Particulars||Rates|
|Application Form for admission to UG Courses||Application Form / Online Registration||Nil|
|Library Caution Deposit (Refundable)||500/-|
|Fees Common for Arts||Registration & Certificate Fee Identity Card Student Welfare Fund||200/- 100/- 500/-|
|Students’ Council Fee||200/-|
|Student’s Activity Fee||200/-|
Rules Related to Registration
As per University norms all the students have to fill up a form for Registration and submit to the office of the Registrar along with necessary documents.
The University at a Glance
- Eminent Teaching-Faculty.
- Well-furnished classrooms.
- Mentorship by Teachers; Personal care of each student.
- Regular Semester Examinations and Internal Assessment tests throughout the year.
- Continuous feedback to students in academic performance/activities.
- A perfect blend of academic input and real life exposure.
- Computerized office administration.
- Hostel facilities with strict security measures.
- Canteen facilities with healthy and hygienic food at affordable rates.
- Ragging free campus.
- Internal Complaint Committee for sexual harassment.
Discipline of the students:
- Each student should carry her Identity Card.
- Students should attend 100% classes. If the attendance of a student falls below 75%, she will not be allowed to sit for the semester examination.
- Use of mobile phone is strictly prohibited during regular class hours (i.e. in the normal offline mode).
- Students should avoid loitering in class rooms.
- Shouting of slogans, walling & postering strictly prohibited.
- Students should look up the Notice Board regularly.
- Discourtesy towards others is a punishable offence.
- Ragging is a punishable offence; students are required to submit an affidavit of Anti-ragging during admission.
B.A. Hons. Admission Notice for the A.Y. 2022-23
- Online application to Under Graduate courses (B.A. Hons. only in Bengali, English, History, Political Science and Education) 2022-2023 will commence from 19th July, 2022 and will continue till 8th August, 2022 upto 3.00 PM.
- Last date of submission of application through online system is 8th August, 2022 within 3.00 p.m. Subjects offered and other admission regulations including admission fees are mentioned in the Information Brochure available in the website.
- First merit list will be published in our website on 16th August, 2022.
- First batch of online admission will be held on 18th and 19th August, 2022.
- Second merit list will be published on 23rd August, 2022.
- Second batch of admission will be held on 25th and 26th August, 2022.
- Third merit list will be published on 30th August, 2022.
- Third batch of admission will be held on 1st and 2nd September, 2022.
- The students will upload their documents [Photo, Madhyamik Admit/ Certificate, HS Mark sheet, Caste Certificate (if any), Aadhar Card / Voter Card, National/ State Sports Certificate (if any) etc.] along with the form for admission on online mode.
- Follow the website on regular basis for updated information.
Ø All processes regarding submission of application and admission will be done through online mode only. There is no offline system.