Centre For Economic and Social Studies (CESS) PhD Admission Notification for the academic year 2022-23.
Established in 1980, the Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS) is an autonomous research institution supported by the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi and the Government of Telangana.
The Centre’s research revolves around issues related to the economy, polity and society with a special emphasis on India and the state of Telangana among others. The Centre has state of art library, computing and other infrastructural facilities available for carrying out good quality research. It is situated in a beautiful campus in the premises of the Nizamiah Observatory at Begumpet in Hyderabad.
CESS in collaboration with Telangana University, Nizamabad invites applications for admission into regular Ph.D Programme in Development Studies for the academic year 2022-2023. The Programme is offered in the following disciplines:
- Sociology/Anthropology/Social Work
- Development Statistics (related to research areas of CESS)
- Political Science/Public Administration
- Commerce/ Business Management (related to research areas of CESS)
Note: The above disciplines include allied subjects, as following: Economics-Agricultural Economics (M.Sc Agriculture); Development Statistics– Statistics (M.A), Statistics (M.Sc), Mathematics (M.Sc); Commerce – Master of Business Administration (MBA). The candidates from these subjects can also apply, provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria, but the Degree shall be awarded only in the five categories of subjects mentioned above.
Academic Curriculum and Duration of the course
The Programme involves coursework for a year and a Ph.D. thesis. The coursework, spread over two semesters, comprises of courses on Research Methodology, Perspectives and Paradigms of Development, Fundamentals of Econometrics/Development Statistics, India’s Development Debate, Applied Econometrics/ Applied Statistics and Paradigms in Social Sciences
Research topics for Ph.D thesis can be chosen from any of the above given subjects with a Development Studies Perspective. The duration of the programme will be five years of which, one year is for course work; and four years for completion of Research/Thesis work after Registration for Ph.D. The Research/Thesis work will be taken up only after successful completion of the course work and Registration for Ph.D.
The Ph.D Programme at CESS is subject to the provisions of UGC regulations, 2018.
- Eligibility: Candidates for admission to the Ph.D programme should qualify and pass
- Post-Graduate Degree with at least 55 percent marks or its equivalent Grade [50 percent marks for SC/ST/ Differently-Abled categories] in the concerned subject from any recognized university.
- An M.Phil Degree in the subject concerned from any recognized university
- Candidates qualified in the National level tests in UGC-NET, State Level Eligibility Test (SLET) or Candidates in UGC–FDP (Faculty Development Programme) and Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship holders
- Total number of seats:12 (The Centre reserves the right not to fill all the seats if suitable candidates are not found)
- Statutory reservations will be followed as per Government of Telangana norms
Selection Process (as per the norms of UGC)
Entrance test: An entrance test will be conducted Online/Offline by the Centre for admission to the Ph.D Programme. Candidates who qualify in the entrance examination shall be called for an interview. The medium of examination for the Entrance Test shall be English only. The entrance exam consists of 2 sections – Section I Research Methodology, Section II – Respective Discipline
As per the UGC notification, the selection of candidates for the Ph.D programme will be based on an entrance test (70% weightage) followed by interview (30% weightage) of candidates who qualify in the entrance test.
- Important Dates
- Application submission deadline: 30 July 2022
- Entrance test: OnlineTest/Offline Test – 13 August 2022
- Interview of shortlisted candidates: Personal/Online – 27 August 2022
- Commencement of Programme: Mid September 2022
In case of Offline Entrance Test conducted at CESS Hyderabad, the Centre will reimburse to- and-fro sleeper class train fare /bus fare to the outstation candidates by shortest route from the place mentioned in the application (communication address) to Hyderabad (whichever fare is less) for attending the written test, only on production of the evidence of the travel. For applicants from Hyderabad, no conveyance will be reimbursed by CESS. It may kindly be noted that accommodation will not be provided by CESS and it is to be arranged by the applicant himself/herself.
The fee structure is as follows
Admission Fee Rs. 5,000/- (Rs. Five Thousand only) – One time
Tuition Fees Rs. 25,000/- (Rs. Twenty Five Thousand only) – Per Annum Course Work Examination Fee Rs. 500/- (Rs. Five Hundred only) – Per Paper Registration Fee Rs. 5000/- (Rs. Five Thousand only) -One time
Re-Registration Fee Rs. 5000/- (Rs. Five Thousand only) -One time Thesis Adjudication Fee Rs. 10000/- (Rs. Ten Thousand only)
- Financial Assistance/Fellowships
The selected scholars may avail ICSSR fellowships on a competitive basis after registration. Scholars are encouraged to avail fellowship through various national fellowships such as UGC– JRF, RGNF, and Ministry of Tribal Welfare etc. The selected candidates belonging to SC/ST categories with annual income less than the prescribed limit may avail the fee concession. CESS may consider providing some partial financial assistance during the course work period to deserving candidates who do not have any other sources of funding, subject to availability of funds.
Limited facilities for hostel accommodation are available on campus for the outstation scholars. The accommodation will be on a first cum first serve basis. The rent for the hostel room will be charged as per rules. Defaulters are not encouraged to remain staying in the hostel.
Course Work and Pre-Ph.D Test
All the candidates who are admitted to the Ph.D Programme have to undergo One Year Course Work (Two Semesters) on a Regular Mode and also have to write the Course Work Examination/Pre-Ph.D test. Attendance is Compulsory
(a) Course work
The course work consists of following six Papers:
Paper 1 – Research Methodology
Paper 2 – Perspectives and Paradigms of Development
Paper 3 – Fundamentals of Econometrics/Development Statistics*
Paper 4 – India’s Development Debate
Paper 5 – Applied Econometrics/ Applied Statistics* Paper 6 – Paradigms in Social Sciences *
*As applicable to the respective disciplines
b) Course Work and Examinations
The Course Work Examination [Pre-Ph.D Exam] shall consist of the above six Papers of 3 hours duration each carrying a maximum of 100 marks
The final examinations will carry 60 marks whereas 40 marks will be awarded on the basis of continuous evaluation during course work (Assignments, Book Reviews/Seminar Presentations) etc.The candidates must secure 50 per cent marks in each paper to qualify/pass in the paper. The candidates should pass in all the six Papers of the Course Work exam to become eligible to take up the thesis work.
The medium of examination for the Pre-Ph.D test/Course Work Examination and also for the thesis shall be English only.
How to apply : Centre For Economic and Social Studies (CESS)
- Application should be submitted in the prescribed format along with Copies of Mark sheets and Certificates of Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees or M.Phil degrees, Age Proof
– SSLC Certificate or any other relevant document
- Candidates belonging to the following categories should submit self-attested copies of latest relevant certificates issued from competent authorities. 1. SC/ST candidates – caste certificate 2. BC Candidates – BC Certificate 3. Person with Disability (PWD) (with ≥ 40% disability) candidates– PWD certificate
- Applications of candidates working in Government Departments and Public sector undertakings should be forwarded through proper channel along with a no objection certificate from the competent authority
- Application fee: Log on to www.cess.ac.in/phd-enrol-online-2022/ to access the homepage of “Online Application for Ph.D”. Application Fee of Rs. 1000/- is non- refundable
- Application form: Application form and the guidelines can be downloaded from the CESS website www.cess.ac.in/phd-enrol-online-2022/
LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT 0F APPLICATIONS: 30 July 2022
Application can be submitted Online. Alternatively, applications can be downloaded and duly filled in application form along with self-attested copies of the above documents should be sent/submitted to:“The Dean, Division of Graduate Studies, Centre For Economic and Social Studies, Nizamiah Observatory Campus, Begumpet, Hyderabad – 500016” on or before 30 July 2022.
CENTRE FOR ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL STUDIES (Planning Dept, Govt. of Telangana & ICSSR-Ministry of Education, Govt. of India) Nizamiah Observatory Campus, Begumpet, Hyderabad – 500 016, Telangana, India Phone: 040-23416610-13, 23402789, 23416780, fax: 040-23406808 Email: [email protected], Website: www.cess.ac.in